Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HP Photosmart printer won't print - any ideas?

Posted by gma_j (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 17:19

My Photosmart 8450 quit printing. I printed a photo with it a couple days ago just fine. I was going to print a second photo and it just would not print. So I tried just printing a document and would not print.
There are no error messages, all the lights come on, and I have tried unplugging it and then retrying to print.
No luck.
There is nothing in the manual under troubleshooting for a printer that just won't print.
Any ideas????? (I hope)
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HP Photosmart printer won't print - any ideas?

START>Printers>right click on the printer entry. Is is set as the default printer?

Have you used any system cleaners in which you removed drivers, registry entries, etc.?

Have you uninstalled or installed any applications?

When all else fails uninstall all the HP software and drivers according to the HP instructions, and re-install according to the HP instructions.

DA

o

Another thing to try is just to delete the printer, unplug the USB cable from the computer side, then after restarting Windows, plug it back in and let the drivers install. Might save the time of that very lengthy install.

o

damccoy, it is set as the default printer. I have not used any system cleaners nor have I uninstalled or installed any applications.
pkponder, before I uninstall and re-install as damccoy suggested, I would like to try what you suggest.
I will get back to you when I have a chance to try it---have to go to work.
thanks

o

I had to uninstall and reinstall as you suggested, damccoy.
Now it works. Thanks

o

As always, more than welcome.

With printers, particularly with HP models, when all else fails.

Thanks for reporting the results.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here