SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juneroses_gw

Hello Ubuntu...goodbye Ubuntu

I have WinXP and have used Lotus123 for years (started when it was THE spreadsheet software). Now XP is out and Lotus won't be updated for Win 8 - the perfect storm. Seemed like an excellent opportunity to convert to Ubuntu.

In prep, I spent considerable time first converting all my spreadsheets to Excel and then to LibreOffice, the office suite of Ubuntu. (Excel could work with Lotus but Libre couldn't; Libre could, however, work with Excel). Not everything converted smoothly, and I had to redo some Lotus formulas that stymied Excel.

Finally, with all converted and backed up, I put new life into the old Win XP by adding Ubuntu. Making my way around this new OS was frustrating and yet fun too. Sadly, however, I've given up and ordered a new Win 8 desktop today.

The initial install of Ubuntu went smoothly and I was patting myself on the back. A new window opened, informing me of a newer version. "Sure" I clicked. WRONG. The new version really messed up the screen display. Not knowing better, I kept looking for a button I must have pressed.

After considerable searching in the blind, I learned that Ubuntu doesn't play nice with Nvidia (yep, this XP has it). Tried downloading a recommended PPA (2 days ago I wouldn't have had a clue what this was!) and I was so happy to see the screen return to "normal". My happiness was short lived though as the screen suddenly went black. All I knew to do was reboot...and reboot...and reboot. This happened repeatedly.

So, I reinstalled the "old" Ubuntu. Now the screen says on but graphics and text are squashed to short and fat!

Life is too short. The new HP should be here in about a week. From reading about Win 8, I suspect my computer challenges aren't over - I'LL BE BAC.C.K.

June

Comments (10)