SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

Odd Behavior From HP Laptop Keys:

not2bright
10 years ago

Hi,

A relative's HP laptop (with XP SP3) has started having two behavioral problems associated with the keys: 1) every time a key is pressed there is a clicking sound, which is not coming from the physical key itself but from act of pressing it (the sound comes through the speakers), and 2) she cannot press the same key more than once per second or two. If, for example, she presses the "backspace" key, she must wait a second or so before pressing it again. If she does not wait it will do nothing when pressed the second time. This is only when pressing the same key in quick succession. Pressing different keys works perfectly fine (except for the above-mentioned clicking sound).

I have not as yet run any scans to see if there is some virus/malware related problem. I thought I would ask here first in case someone already knows what this type of behavior might suggest, and in case it might not be malware related.

Btw, in a brief search for this issue, I happened to notice an open question at Yahoo answers (posted just two days ago to the Malaysian Yahoo Answers board) which, if I understand the person's comment correctly, seems to be describing something similar, but on a different device. (It has not as yet received any answers. Link below.)

Anyway, before I put the beast (the laptop, not my relative) through a battery of scans, I'll wait for any comments here, in case anyone knows from experience what it might be.

Thanks !

n2b

Here is a link that might be useful: http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130501225107AA8jMXv

Comments (3)