Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My computer is so very slow

Posted by oliverp (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 16:36

My computer is so very slow at the moment. I've run CC, Malwarebytes, superantispryware and also done a defrag. I've done a full scan on my paid version of Kaspersky too but it's still slow. I wondered whether it could be Yahoo. I have a Yahoo email addy, my home page is Yahoo and I noticed that Internet Explorer is also provided by Yahoo. Often when I'm typing an email I'm typing away and it's like a delayed reaction, the message comes up later than the actual typing.

Has anyone else had any similar problems? I wondered whether to change my email addy but don't really know which one to replace it with. I once had a gmail addy but didn't like that at all. My ISP is Virgin Media. I've had my Yahoo email for a long time and have many contacts who know me.

I can't think of anything else to speed it up and it's driving me mad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My computer is so very slow

At first blush I think of limited resources. Have you researched your stsrtup to see what is running in the background? WinPatrol is a fine application for doing this. Just review the Start and Services tabs. If it is necessary to take action never delete entries only disable them.

Have you tried Safe Mode to see what the results are?

DA

o

Have you tried another browser to see if you notice a difference between them. It is a good idea to have more than one anyway. I would suggest getting firefox or chrome for example and do some testing.

How old is your pc and how much RAM does it have? Is this xp or 7?
And what version of IE?

o

When someone tells me that their computer is slow, I usually check two things. First, I check to see how much RAM is in their computer. Trying to load too many programs with limited RAM will certainly slow you down. Then I check to see if they have Toolbars installed on their computer. Toolbars are especially notorius for slowing down a computer.

o

Have you tried another browser to see if you notice a difference between them. It is a good idea to have more than one anyway. I would suggest getting firefox or chrome for example and do some testing.

How old is your pc and how much RAM does it have? Is this xp or 7?
And what version of IE?

o

Ha I have no idea how that happened

o

RC,

Did you by chance have to reload the page due to GW being slow responding? I've had to do it a several times this evening.

DA

o

Internet Explorer is also provided by Yahoo.

When I see those, I install revoUninstaller and look for Yahoo free items to get rid of.

Sounds like to me you have a java problem with the delayed typing. Maybe if your connection is a faster one, download current java for your system,,, use revo in most aggressive mode to uninstall Java.. reboot before installing latest java version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Java Downloads page

o

How old is your modem? My own Scientific Atlanta 2100 cable unit was a slowpoke on some sites compared to a new Cisco DPC3825 cable modem/router rental I started using last winter.

Make sure your computer processor fan is working OK and that area plus the motherboard has a minimum of dust and lint.

o

Thank you all so much for your help. I've been working on many of these suggestions today and I'm a very happy woman because my computer is now running really well. I couldn't have done it without the help on this site.

THANK YOU.

o

The product being peddled in the link above Iolo System Mechanic for $24.95. It's yet another crap cleaner/registry fixer that promises to speed up a slow PC. Several reviews and customer comments (CNET in particular) are pretty much a 50/50 split, with half saying it's great and the other half saying it's terrible. To me it's just grabbing money from novice/gullible users who won't make the effort to learn for themselves that there are better alternatives out there, many of which are FREE.

If you are the type of computer user that actually NEEDS this product because you have ignored basic system maintenance and safe computing practices for too long, you deserve to be separated from your money and probably shouldn't be using a computer in the first place IMHO. If that's too harsh...too bad.

o

Mikie...You're a genius!

And...beyond that...never let it be said that any of us supposed techie geeks know everything about everything all of the time. :-) I'm living proof...it t'ain't true.

Case in point. Recently, I had to have a new modem installed by my cable ISP. The young man that did it was charming and very helpful but I fear he tried to clean up a couple of apps that he thought might be slowing my system. After he left....I checked to make sure everything was running and then shut my system down. 24 hours later...I was tearing my hair out wondering why the loading speed of my system hadn't improved. To the contrary...it had gotten worse.

Well...I did all the usual checks...checking wiring/plugs [theirs and mine]...checked apps...defrag...invasive programs, yada...yada...yada...and still couldn't find the problem....UNTIL I happened by here this morning and read this thread.

HALLELUJAH !!! As soon as I read your post...I went looking and apparently my young ISP serviceman wasn't aware that Java was a system requirement...and he uninstalled it. Thanks to your incite...I reloaded it and my system is now delightedly skipping along at its original fast pace.

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU !!!

Anne

o

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 19:13

I never really paid it much attention.. but maybe about for the past 1.5 years I've not had java installed. Newer browsers and websites seem all work just fine for me.

Java sort of became a security risk, in a big way - for a while.

If you install probably firefox or IE most current browser, you might find you have no need for java today.

This post was edited by mikie on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 19:15

o

Actually...my ISP relies on a Java plug-in for their pages and I've found a few more sites that seem to need it, as well. So...reinstalling it helped considerably. But you're quite correct...certain Java developer programs became quite a risk. Thankfully, I never had those installed. And,,,even if I was so inclined...Firefox would block anything other than the plug-in so I'm well protected. I still thank you, Mikie. I never would have thought to look for that plug-in had you not mentioned Java. Reinstalling it made a noticeable difference.

o

Never heard or even thought of this. Good to know.

Like Mikie, I too have been Java free for over a year now. At this time nothing I do requires it. However, I do keep the current version downloaded and stored in the Windows Download folder in the event something arises, and I need it quickly.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here