Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't open .exe files in Vista

Posted by poohbear2767 (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 16:23

Vista Home Premium
I was working on cleaning off a trojan (vista defender 2011) and I think I got some of it cleaned up, but when I went to open Internet Explorer, it asked me what program I want to use to open it with. Since it was just a shortcut, I chose IE. Still no go. I used another computer to download SuperAntiSpyware and MBAM. I placed them on a flash drive and copied them to the desktop of the Vista computer. Same problem when I click on them to install them. It asked me what program do I want to use to open this file.
I tried booting to last known good configuration. No help.
I am completely at a loss at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Pooh Bear

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't open .exe files in Vista

You may have a borken EXE file association problem, probably from the Malware. The computer should be taken to a malware removal forum for further analysis. Broken EXE associations will show up in more thorough scans used by those forums. In the mean time here's a link for fixing the EXE association issue in Vista. You may need to download it onto a flash drive, just click the EXE in the box provided on the web page the link below takes you to...

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: File-association-fixes-for-Windows

o

Yes that fake vista rogue is hitting seen it a few times now, definitely suggest going to LzD and starting a thread there of your own they will help you run those specialized scans to get the rest of that thing off there.
Analysis and Malware Removal

o

That took care of the exe problem and now programs open just fine. I installed SAS and MBAM and both scans seem to have taken care of the problem. Now I have another problem.

When I turn on the computer I get this error message at startup:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I also get that message if I try to open Windows Defender from Control Panel.
Any ideas on how to resolve this.

Thanks so much for your help.

Pooh Bear

o

Try this...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to fix

o

Web of Trust flagged that site before it could load.

I disabled Defender in msconfig and now I don't get the error.
Probably not a permanent solution but works for now.

Pooh Bear

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here