Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost settings

Posted by esteban_2009 (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 16:23

Hi folks,
Yes, I realize the subject is lousy wording, but that's all I could think of. X-P, SP-3. Was working great UNTIL I decided to take the sides off the HP Pavilion a420n and clean the dust and cobwebs from the inside. All went well until I started up. My many desk top icons are really scattered, they are still there, but like I said, scattered. The machine is very slow now. I went to control panel thinking a restore point before today would do the trick, well, I can't find where it gives choices for a date to go back to. And it is turned on.
Dunno' how I can wreck a simple chore like this.
Needless to say, I need help again.
Thanks to all who answer.
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost settings

When you were cleaning out the inside, did you bang any parts in there with a vacumn nozzle??
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools System restore
Or, why not just move the desktop icons back to where they were..Do you have the anti spyware program Malwarebytes on your computer..if not, suggest you download it, install it, update it, then run it...when googling for it, its Malwarebytes free download

o

right click on desktop and select to organize your icons you can do it in various patterns. There is a great little app I use that will save all your icon settings so anytime things like this happen it will put them all back.
Icon Restore

System Restore
that should help you with your system restore

o

genes & RC,
Once again I am deply indebted to you two.
My computer is operating smoothly like it was two days ago.
System Restore saved my bacon again.
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here