Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost wireless connection

Posted by sjt2900 (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 16:01

One minute we had wireless, the next it was gone. The wired desktop is fine, but the laptop and netbook cannot find the wireless connection. We've turned everything off, unplugged, rebooted. Still, no wireless connection. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost wireless connection

did you unplug your router and modem both if not shut down the computers, unplug the router and modem, then wait about 5 mins, then power up in this order, modem first let it get lit up, then power up router let it get lit up then power up computers. The order and time are very important.

If that does not work look at your router and see if the signal lights are all on that should be on.

o

If you are in an area where other wireless networks are active, it's possible that one or more of them are strong enough to interfere with your ability to connect to your own network, especially if you are using the same channel. I use a program called inSSIDer and find it very useful to see whats going on. There are as many as 12 networks operating in my area and they are constantly switching channels it seems. With inSSIDer, I can see which channels they're using and adjust my channel if needed. It's free and has helped me on more than one occasion.

Here is a link that might be useful: inSSIDer

o

Thanks so much for your responses. Long story short, apparently AT&T had an "issue." We found out several neighbors had the same problem. They are coming to the house Wednesday to "fix" the problem. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here