Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My email is so sllllooooowwww!!!!

Posted by terrapots (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 15:15

My email on my workhorse computer is impossible to read. It's trying to download so much that the tunnel is logjammed. I tried to turn off popups under tools, not sure if that's it. I can't even compose a new message on it without losing my temper. My email comes in fast in my laptop but not here. I'm having no trouble with doing this message or anything else.

It's an HP media center with Intel pentium 4 processor, 1.0 GB memory. XP, sp3. I just had trouble upgrading AVG and I think I got rid of all of it, at least it does not show up in my add-remove programs list. I replaced AVG with MSE and had MBAM already. I just did a scan with each and found no problems. But, there are too many processes running when I bring up the task manager. I think that may be the problem but need someone's help in cleaning it up without deleting things I may need. Is there a list(s) of what files are essential for which programs or functions on computers? I used to have a lot of problems with garden web forums, or some of them, which seems to be a lot better now.

Any help I can get will be gratefully accepted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My email is so sllllooooowwww!!!!

How do you access the email? Web mail? Outlook? How many emails are in your inbox? Do you use the same client/method for accessing email from your faster laptop?

o

I use the AT&T yahoo service although I am no longer a client. I have comcast as my isp but don't use their email service yet. I use the same method in my laptop. I have at least 3 emails that I routinely receive emails. 2 are work related, 5-8 normally in one day and are usually deleted, one work related has that amount in a month, saved into email folders. Mine has been there pretty old and has a lot saved in my individual folders. I suppose I should delete a year or two. I did so a while back from some of the prolific mailers but I have no definite numbers. Could it be that that is what is slowing it down. The email service on the laptop is identical. Right now my inboxes are pretty much empty, I just deleted a bunch of stuff two days ago, previous time was a week ago. I just save stuff like order confirmations and even that is fairly minimal, 12 or so in a year but fairly sporadic. I was typing a new email to a business person and I could not change lines to change words so I just brought the draft up in my laptop and finished it there on that silly keyboard.

o

OK, here's what I *think* you said:
You are using AT&T web based mail.

That would mean that you are using a browser to access it, for instance Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome or something else. My advice would be to delete your browser's temporary internet files, history and cookies. Do you have tool bars (google, yahoo, alot, ask) enabled at the top of the browser? Those can sometimes cause unexpected blocking and you might consider removing or at least disabling them while you troubleshoot. If you need help with deleting the browser cache or disabling/removing tool bars, please let us know which browser you are using.

o

Thanks for the reply. I'm using IE 8. I've tried to use Firefox but am not comfortable with it and it seems slower. FYI since I posted my request, my email has pepped up quite a bit. But I would appreciate knowing how to disable or remove tool bars which usually I don't use anyway.

o

In IE8, Click Tools and then Manage Add-Ons. I have very little enabled under Toolbars and Extensions. Certain toolbars can actually spawn other little tidbits of destruction here and there, or that's been my experience. I would advise uninstalling any that magically 'enable' themselves after you disable them. I might even update and scan with MalwareBytes.

I use IE for accessing my work webmail and various other benefits websites that aren't supported under Firefox (my default browser). I like keeping it clean though, no toolbars and I clear my browser cache a lot, but that's just habit because I support 10,000 corporate users that always have a screwed up browser :-)

I'm glad it picked up the pace.

Pam

o

Thanks Pam.I'll give that a try. I ran an updated malwarebytes but it had found nothing. But maybe that's why it speeded up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here