Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lcd vs plasma

Posted by sugar_fl (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 14:48

I may be posting this where it doesn't belong but don't know where else to put it.

I need a TV. All I can find is LCD & PLASMA. LCD is a lot cheaper but a friend told me that they don't last as long. Another problem is plasma is so large & my apt is so small.
What experiences have all of U had with LCD TVs?
My monitor is LCD & it has served me well.

Thanks,
Dar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lcd vs plasma

You don't say what size you want but if not huge I know without a doubt I would be looking at LED TV's . Just looked at 32 inch.. $278 price is reasonable at Walmarts stuff.

LED is so very low on power usage..its really kind of WoW on the power bill if you run the tv lots. And its bright too & should last long time.

o

I have 2 Samsung LCDs (a 46 in 1080p & a 32 in 720p) that are both 2010 models. They still look as good as new and have given me no problems whatsoever. Others may disagree, but I've yet to see another brand that looks better than what I have & I've seen a great many that don't look as good. YMMV. Good luck with your choice.

o

I would only go plasma when I got my 58" Samsung plasma tv. I went and viewed various types but to me that plasma surpassed all. I have never been sorry, we adore it. Got ours at Costco.
The only way you can determine what you want is to go view some. I would suggest LED if going that route.
Personally I would do the same thing again.

o

I would only go plasma when I got my 58" Samsung plasma tv. I went and viewed various types but to me that plasma surpassed all. I have never been sorry, we adore it. Got ours at Costco.
The only way you can determine what you want is to go view some. I would suggest LED if going that route.
Personally I would do the same thing again.

o

I remembered the below thread that I recovered by using the Forum's search engine.

My Samsung is still outstanding, and my daughter's family purchased the comparable model this year and it is just as great.

When doing my research in 2011 Consumer Reports then stated most viewers cannot tell the difference between LCD and LED.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help

o

I have a plasma and two lcd's, the plasma is much better, but the lcd is good

o

Plasma may have a wonderful picture, but if you have a bright room, you'll get a lot of reflection off the plasma's shiny screen. In that circumstance, the LCD is far better.

o

Samsung has technology that defeats that problem. The room my tv is in has one big full wall of glass that gets direct sunlight for a good portion of the day and here in the Houston area that means bright sunshine, the windows have zero tint and zero coverings, so just straight clear glass wall. If there was going to be a problem we have the perfect situation for it. But not a problem, even when the sun is shining straight in. We can sit any where in the room and watch the tv. That was one of my main reasons for choosing the Samsung.

Now one thing is that the plasmas are much heavier than LCD or Led.

Another reason I personally wanted plasma is the ease of cleaning, it is a glass screen, I don't like the LCD on my monitor because of its screen and how careful you have to be in cleaning it.

o

UH OH now I have another question..
What is the difference in LCD & Led?
Dar

o

Using our friend Google, type in the keywords "LCD versus LED" (sans quotes). You get all the reading you need about the difference, and buyer guides.

DA

o

There are two kinds of TVs, plasma and LCD. LED is a subset of LCD and refers to how the panel is light. LED offers some advantages, depending on how the LEDs are used to light the panel. One of the biggest challenges with LCD panels has always been making black appear truly black because with LCD light passes through the panel. With some, typically expensive, LCDs the LEDs are placed the behind the panel and can be selectively turned off. The result is blacker blacks.

o

Dar,
I am at my wits end trying to find a TV to replace my 50" big screen plasma Mitsubishi which recently stopped displaying the pictures. Can be watched using (going through) my standalone DVR but then I can not watch a different channel when recording.
I had 11 years of enjoyment (screen size) but 11 years of unhappiness of fighting the GLARE of the screen. Hopefully I will find a TV I can watch without glare and not having to pull down all my shades in the daytime!
Trying to convince myself a 47" will do. (miss 50"?)
I found this site VERY helpful in explaining many of the questions I wanted to know about the new TVs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Superb info

o

Interesting that the link above agrees with me. The first "best LCD" on the list is the current model of the same Samsung I have (mine is a LN46C610). Great tv for the price. If I needed another tv tomorrow, the first one I'd look at would be a Samsung.

o

Why would anyone want to watch a tv in a brightly lit room? AS to which is best under those conditions is a matter of opinion. The LCD also has glare and the picture has a very washed out appearance. My choice would be neither under those conditions.

o

Why would anyone watch TV in a brightly lit room? Because most of us who have windows don't want to love in a cave and keep the curtains drawn all the time. Or the room is otherwise lit, like a kitchen.

o

"Why would anyone watch TV in a brightly lit room?"

I have a 30x20 foot living room facing the south. The room opens north through a 12 foot arch to the dining room. The dining room has a traditional Anderson door wall while the living room has a large Pella bay window. So I have a great open air presentation, lots of room, lots of comfort, and lots of light. And living out in rural America I don't close my blinds day or night. So plasma was not considered here.

From the squidoo.com page referred to: "Summary: There is little benefit in paying more for an LED HDTV rather than simply getting an LCD HDTV. The whole LED market is more hype than anything else. However, they are more energy efficient than LCDs, and can be extremely thin."

Kinda like I reported during my shopping investigation last year.

DA

o

* Farbuncle (My Page) on Mon, May 21, 12 at 12:19
Why would anyone want to watch a tv in a brightly lit room?

I surely wouldn't but have to.
I have no other choice but to put the TV in the Living Room like 100% of the people do, which in my case, has windows on the South and East side.

o

Sugar seemed to disappear from thread? I think a big point is screen size? LCD is from 20-50" or so. No plasma under 37"? So if OP wants a 32" set, than they will have to get a LCD. They like LCD monitor for computer use. Probably 20-23" size? Buddy went from 42 plasma to 60 LCD and he was a little Leary about LCD at first but loves it now.

o

Kinda like I reported during my shopping investigation last year.
DA

You mean THIS

o

Have you ever heard of the saying, "Gas Guzzler"?

I just happened to look at the specs for my Mitsubishi plasma big screen and seen it as 200 Watts! (Power Guzzler?)
WOWIE. Is that the same as having a 200 watt bulb on?
Would I see a difference in my electric bill if I purchased LCD/LED? (smiles)

o

200 Watts times 5 hours = 1 KW hour, 12 to 15 cents on your electric bill going by the rates in my area. Use it 5 hours for 30 days and it'll cost around $4.00.

o

Thanks Bob for the info for me to check to see on my bill what it is.

o

I have led laptop....... its way bright
Its set to... let me look
35% of max

My old fluorescent lcd laptop was usually set I think about 60% for the same eyes, probably about same level of lumens brightness.

New laptop.. 2.3 i3 intel dual core mobile ... fakes 4 cores? ... usually is using 11 watts while I'm sitting here doing webpages.
Old one, slower cycles, low watt dual core intel mobile processor, used 20 watts to do same thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here