Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
demo version and the pdf-xchange viewer

Posted by elks (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 14:39

I have been using the PDF-XChange Viewer for a number of years. However recently, I downloaded an 'improvement', and most PDF files I now open from the internet have an annoying "DEMO Version,www.docu-track.com, Tracker Software" across every page. Is there a way of ridding myself of it, or should I revert to Adobe Reader?

Thanks,

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: demo version and the pdf-xchange viewer

Think I would uninstall it and reinstall a new version without the add on. It adds ocr capability to pdf-xchange. There may be a reason to have it but I couldn't think of one. Another alternative is the foxit reader which many people prefer. I've never tried it but have read good things about it. No way would I consider going back to Adobe reader.

o

I use and like Foxit Reader. Been very satisfied with it, too.

o

I use pdf xchange also and really like it, I have never had that problem, it sounds like you may have somehow got a trial version of the pay for one. Here is their forum you can check there to see if they have an answer there already or post yours there.
Tracker Software

this right here from their user manual is what makes me think you got the pro version trial
"When you install an evaluation copy of PDF-XChange all output is generated with 2 watermark
stamps on each page signifying that the PDF file was generated with a 'demo' version - once you
have purchased your 'live' copy you must enter the Serial number provided to ensure that all future
output is free of these evaluation watermarks. If you have not installed the demo version you should
do so now using the link in your Purchase confirmation or from:"

ohh ok I found this info it seems it is a bug and tracker has this info on how to fix this issue

"it is a bug in the plugin. Here's the official response from Tracker Software:

(quote)

thanks for the email and report. This is indeed a bug that was resolved a few builds ago. If you are seeing this it is most likely that you have a version conflict that is throwing the plugin into demo mode.

Please

uninstall all PDF-XChange Software from your computer using the Windows Control Panel.
remove the folder Tracker Software from your Program Files directory, including all sub-folders.
restart your PC
run the installer again: http://www.tracker-software.com/PDFXVwer.zip

This should clean up any version conflicts you may have and also ensure your plugin DLL for Firefox is the correct one and you should no longer get the watermark on your pages.

Do let me know how this goes.

Sincerely

Paul O�Rorke
Support Manager North America,
Tracker Software Products
paul AT tracker-software DOT com

Tel (250) 597 1622
Fax (250) 597 1623"

Let us know if that fixes it for you.

o

Thanks very much to all of you. I will un- and re-install it.
Cheers,
Steve

o

What is wrong with Adobe Reader? I work with it every day for years without any problems. I've never had a problem, documents print perfectly and very easy to open and read.

Just curious, what it is you don't like about Adobe?

Jane

o

The security issues that are prevalent in Adobe. I got rid of it on all my computers and went with pdf xchange long ago. Another good option is Sumatra.
Adobe is also very resource heavy the others are much lighter weight programs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here