Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Automatic Startup Program Changed as in Gone

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 14:36

I had a virus PUP (conduit) again, and in removing it got the mssgs shown. Well google didn't seem to resolve my questions. Maybe I couldn't figure correct search terms.

Are these necesasary or can I get by w/o em? I get the impression they should be in place. There was another not shown I think was Igfxtray.exe which evidently is not critical.

It seems I must reinstall windows or do a repair off the install disk. For some reason that seems a bit much. Might I then have to redo all the updates?

Can I restore to a point a few days ago and get em back? That also seems a bit much since I just updated several programs and am not sure what the restore would leave me. Presumably all that updating would have to be done again? Not impossible but a PIA.

So.
Do I really need those programs?
What happens if I leave them gone?
Which of the above is my best easiest way to get em back.
Is there another method to get em restored?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Automatic Startup Program Changed as in Gone

See if this image is clearer. Had trouble getting them into a form to post.

o

I think I might use System File Checker (SFC) in this instance. It will go through the Windows files checking for errors. It is possible you will need the Windows install disk.

About has a nice tutorial rather than me type similar stuff.

o

Thanx Owbist

I ran the sfc /scannow from the elevated command prompt and it said, "Window Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Search coughed up the supposedly missing files. So either sfc put em back or they weren't gone anyway.So it would seem all is again under control. Maybe it was never out? :-)

o

Quite possible. Try shutting down completely then start the computer again. If everything starts normally you should consider everything to be in order.

o

Hi- I did and it did.

o

Good news :~)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here