Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem With Avast.....ball not turning.

Posted by marciasc (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 12:53

I have Avast as my antivirus. One day I noticed the ball isn't turning, down in the right hand corner, as it always did when I would go to a new site. If I put my mouse over the ball it says 7 providers total, 6 running.....like it always had said. I also get update notices automatically. I got one this morning.

I ran Avast,SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and another free antivirus ESET. Every program came up good.

I am using Internet Explorer on this computer. On my laptop I have Vista and the Avast ball turns around when I go to another site.

I just have a feeling that it's not working right. Am I wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem With Avast.....ball not turning.

I rarely see my avast icon twirl.
Its set not to animate...
Right click the ball, select program settings then Appearance.
See if yours is set to animate the icon when scannig ?

o

It's been a long time since I configured/used Avast, but isn't there an option in in the application to enable/disable the animation?

I want to say right clicking on the icon in the System Tray/Notification Area shows it

DA

o

Thanks Mikie and DA. I right clicked and went in to what you said and the square for animated ball was checked. I unchecked and checked it again and I'll see what happens.

I really don't care what it does just so I know everything is working right. I guess it is.

Thanks again!!!!

o
RE: Problem With Avast.. ...ball not turning.

You can check to verify web pages are being scanned by double clicking the ball ... double clicking the Web Shield ... select the Advanced tab
Then checkmark... Show details on performed actions.

You'll probably want to uncheck it pretty fast. It checks a lot!

o
RE: Problem With Avast the ball not turning.

When I double click I don't get anything that says Web Shield. The only time I see it is when I right click and under Stop Provider, Wed Shield is listed there as one to stop. I have 4.8 edition.

When I left click I get Resident Protection and that does show Scanned Count which is changing. So if that number is changing and going up, it should be working....I hope.

o

Could the ESet be conflicting with AVAST? I don't run more than one AV program on my computer.

And, yes, the blue ball does turn when I go to a different web page.

o
RE: Problem With Avast.....ball not turning-edited

In fact, when I clicked to submit the above post, the ball twirled.

o
RE: Problem With Avast...ball not turning.

Grandms, I ran a free scan with ESET. It's not on my computer. The ball wasn't turning before I did that. That's why I was running all the programs, to make sure I didn't have a "nasty" on my computer and making the ball not move.

o

Where you see your 'Scanned Count' there probably is an Advanced button on that window.. might click it and I think you probably will see the list of Providers on the left that you can double click on the providers which opens their settings windows.

o
RE: Problem With Avast..ball not turning.

Mikie, no Advanced button on that window. I clicked on everything. One was Details and then I clicked on Customize but that wasn't what I wanted either.

I guess Avast must be working and I'll just live with the ball not turning.

Thanks!!

o

Here's some pics of mine...
Photobucket
Photobucket

fwiw; the URL blocking works very nice for pest advertisers.

o
RE: Problem With Avast....ball not turning.

I have a red face here. I didn't even notice that I could scroll where Web Shield is. My bottom one was Outlook Exchange and I didn't see Web Shield.

I have already turned off my desktop tonight and I'm on the laptop. Tomorrow I will go back and do it right.....and follow the directions you gave me.

Thanks.....I'll let you know tomorrow.........have a good evening!

o

go to that webshield area like above and look where it says scanned count if that shows actual numbers as a count and not zero or if you go to pages and that number does change it is ok if it is not changing then there could be a problem. Do you have zone alarm by any chance? because for some of us there was a conflict and we had to change a proxy setting in our browsers when using Avast. There is a thread on here about that which may turn up on a search, I had posted the directions on how to set it up.
This page from the Avast forum also tells how to do that.

Configuration of the Web Shield HTTP proxy

o
REee: Problem With Avast.....ball not turning.

avast conflict with ZA

that is the thread that was on here previously concerning the scanning issue.

o
RE: Problem With Avast.....ball not turning...

Thanks Mikie and Raven.

I checked both Web Shield and Standard Shield and went to some sites and went back and they both are scanning so I guess I am ok.

I have had Zone Alarm for years and used it with Avast for the last couple of years and never had a problem. I'm happy to know it is scanning.

Love this forum!! Thanks!!

o

I started watching mine Avast icon when this thread appeared and it sure appears to me it is rotating more briefly than some several weeks ago. Indeed at first I thought that mine to had stopped turning, then I noticed it is rotating, only once or twice when I click on something.

o

After you wrote that you have been watching your Avast icon I started watching mine again and going to different sites. The poor little thing doesn't move at all.

I'm happy that Avast is working but still curious why mine stopped.

o
RE: Problem With Avast...It Woke Up!!

Wonders never cease and computers always amaze me. The Avast ball woke up late this afternoon and is spinning again!! I guess it just needed a little vacation. :-) It took a vacation for several weeks.

Thanks everyone!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here