Posted by kim1947 (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 12:52

Firefox, Win7.
Does anyone know how to fix this? I've reset Firefox but it didn't fix it. TIA

This post was edited by kim1947 on Wed, May 21, 14 at 23:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overlapped text

Is this one problem on one site? If yes, provide a link to that page. Or is it multiple problems on more than one site?

o

it's on many, maybe all websites. Also the box to enter search terms isn't visible, I have to move the mouse arrow around till I stumble on to it.

o

Does the text normally look this large? Try holding the CTRL (or Control) button down and tap the minus signed button a time or two to reduce the size and see if this fixes things.

How long has this been happening?

o

Emma,

What's the name of the FF add-on you are always recommending for screen content resizing to assist in viewing?

When Emma answers, are you using that add-on?

DA

o

Are you thinking of no squint? It changes font size and color, back ground color and zoom. It also colors the visited and unvisited threads.

o

I'm sorry I can't seem to resize that image....but on the website there's nothing wrong with the font size. It's the box at the bottom that says "Review Your Order" that is duplicated and overlapped. It happens in a similar way on most websites. Search boxes themselves, and boxes where you'd put checkmarks don't show up either.

o

It appears to be a problem for some on Chrome...
Sorry I can offer nothing else!

Here is a link that might be useful: Same Problem

o

Do you use the add-on No Squint on FF as Emma kindly reminded me of?

DA

o

I tried the no-squint add-on, not a fix. I'm trying Chrome now. Thanks for trying to help.

o

Since you reset Firefox, this probably isn't it but...

Tools->Options->Content->Fonts & Colors(Advanced)

I was getting similar overlap in the past after selecting a minimum font size.

You might check that your settings match mine, which I believe are the defaults.

o

chuggerguy, what version of Firefox is that? Mine is 29.0.1 and the fonts box is different from yours.

o

Sorry, I should have did a capture of a Windows version. The one above is Linux Firefox version 29.0.

This one is Windows Firefox version 29.0.1.

A little different but I suspect if the overlap is due to a setting in there, it would be either having "Minimum Font Size" set to something other than "None". Or perhaps not allowing pages to choose their own fonts.

o

I googled it and it suggested the help mentioned here. I set my fonts larger because of a cataract problems and I have never had that problem. I updated to FF 29 and immediately had a problem with the tool bars and went back to V 28. I think it may be due to your FF update.

o

@ EmmaR

If you don't like the new Firefox "Australis" interface, there's always Classic Theme Restorer.

o

Chugger, don't know if that will help me. I click on customize and pull the home, refresh, stop, forward and back arrow icons to the left of the menu tool bar. Then I drag the address/url bar right of the help icon. I have all of my tools on one line and the favorites below that. Then I remove the check from the navigation bar. I don't like to have 3 or 4 bars if I can condense it down. I like having only the things I use there.

o

Emma, personally, my only goal was to get back to something like I posted in this thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/html/msg0422131817057.html?4#GWCPostTitle4

(Ignore the extra styling, background etc. and note the toolbars, icons, tabs, etc.)

Classic Theme Restorer did help me put stuff back the way I prefer it. Perhaps it would also help you put stuff back the way you prefer it? Maybe not, I don't really know. It was just offered as a possibility.

o

I thank you for that Chugger, I do appreciate the suggestion and will looking into it. I like to keep updated, but I really hate to have all of the junk on top.

o

I've tried *everything*, even tried to revert back to FF28, but after going thru the process, it shows v29 so it automatically upgraded. Very frustrating, but I'm not alone...similar comments at FF community forum. Here's how the drop-down box looks on one website:

o

Just for chuckles...does Internet Explorer display these same web sites correctly? I'm not yet convinced it is a Firefox problem only.

o

Kim, When I found FF V 28 at a reputable site and tried to install it....it would offer an upgrade and would go no further if I didn't accept that. I could not revert to V28 until I deleted everything firefox off my computer. In programs and features there was firefox and firefox maintenance, I deleted both. The install of V 28 went through then. I found V 28 at file hipo and be sure to get the V 28 not one of the various V 28 betas. If you can't fix the problem you might install V 28.

Here is a link that might be useful: V 28

o

Emma, I uninstalled FF and maintenance, then installed v28 but it immediately upgrades to v29.

Chrome and IE don't have that overlapping text problem, so I guess I'll use one of those. :-(

Thanks for the help!

o

I'd hate to have you go through the uninstall/re-install process again, but... you might try uninstalling v.29.

Then (assuming you still have the downloaded v.28 available) go offline (put modem on stand-by or whatever you might have to do). Then install FF 28. Since your computer would be offline, it wouldn't/couldn't automatically update.

Then go into FF Options > Advanced > Update and de-select the option to auto-update and close FF.

Then you should be able to go back online and open FF not without it auto-updating to v. 29, and you can see if things have gone back to normal with your text problem.

o

Just a thought......

Try setting all font sizes under "Advanced" to the same font size...i.e. "12". Then uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own fonts...."leaving it blank.

Those are my settings with the new version of FF and I've never experienced overlapping text..with this latest FF version or any previous version.

HTH

Anne

o

Go into "Colors" and make sure "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above" is checked.

When I un-check that box, I get the exact same problem. Dropdowns lose their background and become transparent. Also, links lose their assigned color.

---------------------------------------
Edited to explain my reasoning.
---------------------------------------

Going to "Tools->Options->Content->Colors" brings up a dialogue (similar) to this:

The results of checking vs. un-checking "Allow pages to choose their own colors, instead of my selections above" are shown in the table below.

Not CheckedChecked

I think the image on the left(unchecked) closely resembles the image posted by kim1947. I no longer believe the problem is overlapping text but a transparent background within the drop-down menu.

I may be wrong but it's easy enough to check.

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Sat, May 24, 14 at 17:24

o

nottobright thank you for posting that, I would never have thought of that.

I really think going back to 28 would be a good idea. I set mine to never update.

o

I use FF29 and W7. I read a lot. I display large text on a TV screen. I am sometimes pestered with some overlap here or there and can usually get something resembling reasonable by tinkering with NoSquint.

This morning I did get one site [ .gov site on weeds.] where the banner across the top covered the whole screen and all the text was behind. I gave up. Quit.

o

chuggerguy, you are right! It's fixed now! WOO HOO!! Life's little pleasures :-)
Thanks!

o

Good to hear. And thanks for letting me know... I was really curious. :)

o

chugger your tool bar is just like mine except...since I don't use the google search bar I put it on the navigation bar then removed the check mark. I guess I could update FF and still have the tool bar I like. Thanks

o

Yeah, I've did without the search bar before too. Set my homepage to Google or whatever.

And I've combined the menu bar, navigation, address bar and even bookmarks on my netbook to gain space.

The reason I used Classic Theme Restorer was to put tabs back on the bottom, square them off, get my refresh icon out of the address bar and... I forget what else. :)

Have fun and good luck.

o

It is fun isn't it?????

o

Definitely. :)

o

Chugger I wanted to thank your for suggesting the Classic Theme Restorer. All is well except for the back button being in the middle instead of on the left. I know, I know I am being picky here. I can live with that.

o

You're welcome Emma.

On the "Main" page of the C.T.R. options, you might try checking "Movable back-forward button" to see if that gives you the ability to do what you want.

Mine is checked and I have my back-forward buttons where I want them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here