Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burning a CD

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 12:21

My question concerns what type of CD to buy. I have never had to burned anything until I purchased this new computer. I must create recovery CDs. I went to the store, but there were so many types of CDs, I left empty handed.

What kind of CD to I need to buy in order to burn them? I apologize for this being such a simplistic question and tried to find the answer for myself, but am not understanding at all what I read - that is why I came to you for help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burning a CD

I usually buy a brand name just because I feel the data I save is worth the effort and the minimal extra expense. But I also look for a bargain price.

What Windows are we talking about? If Windows 7 then you need DVDs not CD, anything less and CDs are good to go.

Never apologise for asking questions regarding computers, if you fail to ask you fail to learn and therefore cannot expect to get the most benefit from owning a computer.

o

Since you mentioned just buying the pc then I would guess it is windows 7 you want to go with DVDs for that.
the average single layer DVD can hold about 4.7GB of data
If you just want to make the system recovery disks then that will take around 4, 4.7Gb DVDs. Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore will take you to the Recovery Center where you can make them.
Windows 7 Feature Focus Backup and Restore
a nice guide.

o

Thanks so much, all. I do have Windows 7 and had no idea I needed DVDs versus CDs. I feel so much better now.

What are quality brands of DVDs?

o

TAIYO YUDEN
Ritek
Verbatim

o

Thank you so much, Raven. Only the Verbatim brand sounds familiar to me. I will keep the names of all of the brands and go shopping again. This time for DVDs.

o

dvd - r is most popular
as opposed to dvd + r which may not work in all computers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here