Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firefox 4 issues - where's my bookmarks toolbar?

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 12:14

Well - i got tired of being pestered to update to Firefox 4 - so I did it - and I don't like it. But that may be just a matter of time to get used to.

Here's what I'm having immediate trouble with:

1 - I can't get my bookmarks toolbar to display. I have gone to View - and checked bookmarks toolbar - but the entire line is blank. Now when I first started the new firefox 4, it had fire.fm toolbar - and the bookmarks toolbar began at the very end of that same line to the right. This meant that most of my toolbar bookmarks were not visible. (I don't want double row of bookmarks. It was displaying just as I needed before.) I unchecked fire.fm toolbar - thinking the fire.fm portion would go away - and the bookmarks would be visible. But they're not. I can't find them. I did a little customizing - and maybe have done something accidentally that removed them - although I can't think of what. When I go to the bookmarks on the menu bar, I do see that they are still there - they are just not displaying on the bookmarks toolbar.

2 - I miss my smart bookmarks add-on. It allowed me to automatically just show the icon for bookmarks - and mousing over produced the name. It's not compatible with FF 4 - and the developer isn't planning to update it. He's recommended another - but that doesn't seem to be quite what I want (sorry I now forget the name of the other add-on). So for now I have manually gone in and deleted the names for the bookmarks (which means no mousing over to see the name if I don't remember the icon). Of course, that was when if first opened FF4. Now I can't find the bookmarks.

3 - In general, do people think FF4 is an improvement? If so, what's better about it. I may be overlooking features that I'd enjoy. Right now I'm just missing what I had set up.

4 - If I wind up not liking this FF 4, can I uninstall and reinstall the previous version? How?

5 - Sometimes in my zeal, I get new add-ons for Firefox bc. they sound great. Then I don't use them and forget what they could do. So I have Fire.fm and last.fm - but I don't know the difference. What do they do? Any reason to have both?

Thanks.
Lynn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firefox 4 issues - where's my bookmarks toolbar?

fire and last.fm are radio stations both are good.

There are several tutorials on how to make the new firefox just like the old one was. I posted links on another thread here about it so it may show up on a search or you can just google make firefox 4 like firefox 3

to go back just delete firefox then download and install the older version it should hold all your stuff and not lose any, however if you use xmarks that is not a worry.

Old Version of Firefox
How to Fix Annoyances with Firefox 4�s New Look
Is there a way to make Firefox 4 less ugly?

How to Make Firefox 4 Look Like Firefox 3
those should help some along with this video

Here is a link that might be useful: video

o

Thanks Raven. I was able to implement many of those changes. Tabs are on the bottom, I've moved the reload and other buttons where I want them. But I still don't have any items for the Bookmarks Toolbar. There's a space - line - that is blank all the way across. I have booksmarks toolbar checked under View. If I uncheck it, that empty bar goes away.

But how do I get my bookmarks to actually display in the bookmarks toolbar. I do use xmarks - and I know they're safely stored. I can also see them when I go to the Bookmarks menu. They haven't disappeared - they just don't show up in the toolbar.

I've been listening to last.fm and I do like it. Soon I'll try fire.fm as well.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

if you sync your xmarks it should put it just like it is on all your other computers that you have your xmarks on including the bookmark toolbar.

o

I just tried syncing my xmarks. Still don't have any bookmarks showing in the toolbar. I am really stumped. And like I said, the bookmarks are stored in this version of firefox - I see them when I click Bookmarks in the menu bar and go to Bookmarks Toolbar. They're all there. They just don't display in the toolbar.

Lynn.

o
Still no bookmarks toolbar - about to go back to FF 3.6

I have spent too many hours pouring over forums to see how to fix the disappearing bookmarks toolbar. I have found other posts where people had a similar problem - but I have yet to find a solution that works. It is making my computer time much, much slower to have to go to the bookmarks menu - go to toolbar - then select the one I want to open. And if I want to open a second, I have to do all those steps again.

It seems that FF4 may be faster at browsing, but it's slowing me down terribly to not have my bookmarks toolbar. I think I'll go back - but Raven - I want to be absolutely sure I don't mess things up. I uninstall FF4 from the add/remove programs? Then reinstall the previous version?

Or is there a way to uninstall ff4 from within firefox? Also, should I first download the previous version - while I still have the firefox browser to download? I could use IE - but I really hate IE.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

I would download the old version first then do add remove of 4 then re-install of old version.

If you have xmarks and all is synced you can not lose anything, once you install old version and install xmarks and sync you have everything.
but in general no it should not lose anything by doing it this way it is set up to save the profile and stuff.
I guess you could on firefox 4 go back and just drag your bookmark folders back onto your bookmark toolbar you should be able to do that, I would try that first.
I do not have firefox 4 on anything so I don't have any experience with it yet.

Ok I just did something that may work for you, open your bookmarks by clicking on bookmarks then the top one should be the bookmarks toolbar list put cursor there and it should show you your folders that you want back on the bar, right click on each folder and choose copy then go to the toolbar and click paste. See if that puts your folders there.

o

Just a question here. Have you tried dragging a bookmark from
the Bookmarks drop down menu onto the Bookmark Toolbar itself? It works for me.

DA

o

Interesting idea about copying/pasting or dragging bookmarks from the toolbar list - and moving to the area where the bookmark toolbar should be. Nothing happens - with either method.

I'm going back to 3.6.17. They make it really difficult and keep prompting you to download firefox 4. It's a shame. I finally convinced my 79yo father-in-law to try firefox on his new laptop. He was game after also hearing all the 20-something granddaughters recommending it. So he downloaded Firefox 4 - bc. that's what came up when he searched. And he doesn't like it. I think the learning curve is even steeper on this version - and has to be tinkered with a lot to get it as user-friendly and helpful as the previous versions. So he's not seeing the benefit.

Hopefully he hasn't given up and will try 3.6.17.

I also really miss my smart bookmarks addon. Love it - and the developer isn't planning to upgrade it for FF4.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o
Nothing but trouble - FF 3.6.17 won't load

I downloaded (but did not open FF 3.6.17). Then I removed FF4 - and restarted the computer. Installed 3.6.17 - and checked Launch when finished. But it didn't launch. It's there in my new programs - there's a desktop icon. But I can't get it to open.

I'm restarting the desktop in case that helps. Otherwise, any ideas what's wrong? Just a coincidence and it's a bad download and I should download again?

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

it could be that does happen I would try it again fresh download in case the one you got was bad.
Download Firefox 3.6.17

Firefox 3.6.17
there are a couple of locations for it.

o
Working with FF 3.6.17

After restarting the computer, I opened FF - it said a script was having trouble running. Gave me a choice to proceed without script (having to do with addons) or wait. I chose proceed without script. Now FF 3.6. 17 works. The bookmarks toolbar was still missing - so I went to view, bookmarks, customize and chose default. Now it's back.

So I must have done something that made it disappear when I tried customizing FF 4. This undid it (plus a few other things I had hset upa nd liked - but I can redo those). Not sure if I could have set default and gotten the bookmarks toolbar back in FF4. But since there were a couple of other things I didn't like about FF4 (no smart bookmarks add-on, dialog for bookmarking doesn't open up and give choice of where to save bookmark, and add tags).

This is good for now. By the time we have to go to FF4, there may be less glitches - or better documentation of how to find work arounds.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

You might want to consider trying to develop a working relationship with FF4. FF5 Beta 1 was released May 11th, and historically upgrades don't retro, but rather they progress. Change is always eminent.

DA

o

Firefox Safemode may have helpt you with FF4. There are various choices which may have cleaned things out so your desired options would 'take' when you reset preferences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read This

o

Damcoy - it did occur to me to try to get used to FF4 - but I was miserable with it for a fairly computer intensive weekend. I just had too much to do to have to go digging for all my bookmarks each time.

I could see returning to it when I'm less crunched. And maybe try safemode - although I'm not sure from that link what I'd be doing with it. Other than seeing if my bookmarks toolbar is there once the addons are disabled - in case it's an addon and not FF4 causing it. Other than that, that link was over my head.

I am sure FF isn't going to go backwards - but the number of issues that seem to recur over 2 months - and no solutions that I could see - makes me think that in a little more time, there may still be issues (or features to get used to) - but there might also be more solutions and work arounds to be found on various forums.

thanks.
Lynn.

o

Lynn,

Good to see you are not quitting on it.

DA

o

I am sure that the latest versions of version 3 will be kept updated since 4 is not really optimal for xp just like IE9 is not for xp and there are still a lot of people using xp.
I do not have FF4 on any of mine yet.

also when I find that one of my fave add-ons is not being updated I check all the comments on the add on page for it and also I google it because many times if it is a very popular one someone else will pick up and continue working on it. I have found several of my faves that work with newer versions that way.

o

Too bad you couldn't get anything from that site. I thot it was quite clear. Sorry about that.

Going to safemode allows you to undo possible corruptions a couple of which are shown below. That may have been your problem with the FF4.

Reset toolbars and controls

- Removes any toolbar customizations you may have made via the "Customize Toolbar" dialog...... and resolves various localstore corruption issues.

...... helps you fix Firefox problems caused by a corrupt localstore.rdf file, which include:

Changes to the toolbar reset themselves after you close Firefox and start it up again

Bookmarks appear in the Bookmarks Manager but not in the main menu and can't be edited [1]

o

I also lost my bookmarks toolbar. I had done some customizing of the display and it took it out. Right-click to bring up the selection menu again (Menu Bar, Navigation Bar, Bookmarks Bar, Add-On bar). At the bottom of the menu, click Customize. Look for the object Bookmarks Toolbar Items. Drag it onto the blank Bookmarks bar. If this doesn't work, click Restore Default Set. That should bring it back; if it doesn't, once again look for the Bookmarks Toolbar Items object and drag 'er back again. I had to do it twice before it stuck.

o

I have it on my work computer - XP and had no problems except I am missing the refresh button. Can't find it anywhere. Otherwise, the layout takes getting used to. Toolbars are not there unless you customize. My bookmark toolbar is there but would like my refresh button.

I have the old FF on my other computers and prefer it. I won't upgrade those machines yet. All our computers are XP (5).

Jane

o

you can easily add the refresh button go back to customize and in the list of icons you will find an icon for refresh just drag it right onto your bar where ever you want it then click done.

o

I really like FF 4, mine is FF 4.0.1. When I installed it, it kept most of my settings. I always condense and rearrange the bars at the top.

You have probably done this but just in case....right click on an empty space on the main tool bar a list of tool bars comes up. Make sure the book mark tool bar is checked.

o

I am not getting these follow-up posts emailed to me even though i checked to have emails sent - so I didn't know there was more.

I hope they keep supporting version 3 - since we have 5 xp computers between home and work. I do have FF4 on dd's laptop - but not quite sure how it's going for her. She said she didn't like it - and I offered to try above suggestions to make it appear more like she's familiar with. She wants me to in theory - but in reality never wants to hand over the computer to have me do it.

When I have more leisure to try again, am I recalling correctly that I can have 2 firefoxes installed - one version 3, and one version 4? And I can use xmarks to sync bookmarks, etc. That way I can get used to ff4 - but go back to 3 for the times I need things to go smoothly and not tinker? Any special instructions for doing 2 firefoxes?

Thank you.
Lynn.

PS - still wonder if anyone else if having the issue where responses don't get emailed to them. This happens now for all my posts the last month - on this and the cooking forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here