Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I delete this information

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:30

Windows 7 Firefox Big Fish games question
Before on XP & Internet Explore, but on W/7 this program runs better on Firefox, and now I get do you want to save this. After doing some (lots) or research, I found these are going to a folder under documents, under favorites, then these are listed desktop, downloads, recent places. I go to down loads, ok, but I have to also click giving my permission to run (and install) the game. OK.
My question is after they are installed, can I remove the information from downloads, I tried it with one game, and it did not remove the game.
Confusing? yes, but with the book and a CD rom I am trying to really understand 7
Thank you all
Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I delete this information

Not sure what your goal is and I'm uncomfortable about installing "free games"...but it looks like you can play games online for free in your browser and just exit without saving anything when you are done. That would be my choice, for what it's worth.

o

I have never had issues with downloading big fish games and neither have my friends unless someone knows something different it's a reputable site we have used for years. I am not sure what you are trying to do though so can't help. Some games are download only on that site so you don't have a choice and some are strictly online play. Mary

o

I don't know about that site, but I would not worry about stuff left on your PC. My friend plays at Pogo and has viruses so bad someone has to fix her computer for her. I learned years ago I did not like playing games like that. I buy my own games at retail stores. I have at least 25 games on my computer and love everyone of them.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sun, May 4, 14 at 12:18

o

Friends and I have played on pogo for years and never once got a virus, that is another reputable site for games. Maybe someone here can elaborate how one got a virus from pogo as I have never heard of it as lots play on that site. Mary

o

My question is after they are installed, can I remove the information from downloads, I tried it with one game, and it did not remove the game.

The answer is a cautious "yes". BUT...if you don't back-up your system to an independent storage unit...AND...your system crashes at some future date...you may lose the installation program of that particular game. Of course...system restore may save it but there are times when access to system restore fails.

The download folder is sorta like a helpful filing cabinet. I remove older versions of some programs [like Malwarebytes program updates] from mine...but I allow the newer versions to rest there in the event that I need to reload the program in a hurry. [And...I have my entire system backed up to an independent hard drive.] It's just quicker and easier to run over to the Download folder and reload the program [or whatever] from there.

So...your decision comes under personal choice. If you don't need the ram space...then leave the installation program there. If you do need that space...make other arrangements to protect you program...and clean house.

I hope I've answered your question, Marie...and congratulations for investing the time to educate yourself about your system. Win 7.1 is really a nice program and once you feel more comfortable with it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Anne

o

All she does on her pc is play games and that is the only site she visits. She doesn't even do email on it she does that on her phone.

o

I back up my paid downloads to a memory stick. Strange on your friend, never have seen trouble on either of those sites. Pogo was one of the first sites I found to play games when we got your first internet computer years ago with windows 98. Sounds like something went wrong with her virus protection if it didn't do it's job. Mary

o

When I first started playing games online I could only play the game for a few hours, then I had to buy it. I ordered Cubis for my self and one for my sister. We both loved the game. When I bought a new PC it wouldn't accept my key number, they helped me with a new key. Later the same problem and they no longer tried to help me. I lost $40 so I do the retail thing now.

o

Marie,

I obviously not familiar with every application known to mankind, but I have never heard of not being able to delete a downloaded file from the Download Folder after said file has been installed. As an example,

This morning I downloaded the current version of WinPatrol to my Download Folder. I then completed the install and deleted the download itself. No muss. No fuss.

DA

o

Oh never had that problem. I buy all my slot games from phantom FX as a download instead of buying the actual CD from them as I can get it instant and not wait for it to be shipped and have to pay shipping and have had no trouble with having to reinstall. Actually the download is probably in my account with the code from them also in case I need to get at it again. I think big fish works the fame way. Mary

o

I haven't used big fish in a while but from them you might not be able to delete the downloaded file as their app thingy you have to install on the PC might need it to get at the game when you want to play. Sorry it's been so long since I belonged to that site I forget but that might be the case. Best thing to do is contact big fish about it. Acutally I would use their online forums and ask other users. Mary

o

I get all my games from My Play City (free) for years never had a prob. However Big Fish is riddled with Viruses in the games downloads be very careful!!! the add on advert icons adfter downloading a game go to my desktop as does the game, I simply drag to my recycle bin, over done!!

o

I have belonged to that site for years and have never seen a virus in anything I have bought and have played their hidden object games for years. Big fish tests all their games long before they get them to prevent stuff like that they said once on the forums. This is the first time I have heard their games have viruses. Mary

o

I think Big Fish is now owned by PopCap. I googled it and Big Fish comes up with Popcap in front of the address. Don't know if that will make any difference in the safety.

o

No clue but have used pop cap as long as big fish and never saw a virus come through. Mary

o

I doubt you would get a virus from either Popcap or Big fish. More likely from downloading from third party sites with a less than reputable credibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here