SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Windows XP: removing components via Control Panel

luis_pr
10 years ago

As usual, Microsoft makes things so backwards from the way I think that I screwed up something but I am not sure how to undo things now.

I was removing old unused software using the Add/Remove Feature in the Control Panel of Windows XP.

The left hand side of that window displays these four items: Change or Remove Programs (this is selected as a default), Add New Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Set Program Access/Defaults.

After cleaning old software that I was not using (using Change or Remove Programs), I decided to click on the other buttons to see what they were for.

I tried the one titled Add/Remove Windows Components, as I had seen something useless (to me) called Windows Messenger that I have tried to get rid of before... unsuccessfully.

The window had a bunch of components listed; Accessories and Utilities; Fax Services; Indexing Serice; Internet Explorer; etc. Some were check marked and others were not. Of interest, I saw Windows Messenger and MSN Explorer listed (not sure what MSN Explorer is but it sounds like something preloaded when I got the PC so I decided to also wipe it off). So "my list of items to delete" consisted of just those two programs, Messenger and MSN Explorer.

So, I made sure that both items were check marked and removed the check marks on everything else. Then I clicked Next and followed the prompts.

As far as I can tell, Windows Messenger is still there. Cannot tell about MSN Explorer since I do not even know how to use it or start it.

Question 1: why did Messenger not go away?

Later on, I also noticed that my Solitaire Game disappeared. When I click on Start>Programs>Accessories>Games (empty list... no games listed).

Question 2. Obviously I did that somehow. What in the world did I do that resulted in that??? It does not even seem related. Can I get them back and how? Since that was so totally unexpected, I am now concerned of other gremlins. Did I mess up something else (that I have not discovered yet) when using the Control Panel for Windows Components?

I obviously did not expect to need to know how the checkmarks were set before I messed things up so I have left things as is. Feels like I am sinking in quicksand if I try to fix more things on my own...

TIA, Luis

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus