Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Web pages are teeny, tiny - how to enlarge - what happened?

Posted by lynnalexandra (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 11 at 10:21

I'm working on my daughter's laptop - want to run antispyware, antivirus and generally update. When I go to Firefox (version 4.0 - windows 7), the top portion and tool bars look normal. But when I try to go to a webpage - here, gmail, etc - the page is tiny - taking up about 1/5 or the width -and so small I can't read it.

I don't know if I hit a button by accident and minimized it. But I don't know what buttons do what. Any ideas how to restore size? I looked at Firefox tools - and the font size under options was already set at 16.

Thanks.
Lynn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Web pages are teeny, tiny - how to enlarge - what happened?

using the cursor run it to the edge of the page till it turns into the double sided arrows grab and pull the screen out to full size you can do this from any edge and the corners. Once you have it back to your preferred size, go up to file then hit close do not close it using the x. then restart firefox and it should retain your last set screen size.

o

I'm not having any luck doing that. I have the arrow - and using the touchpad I bring it to the edge - but nothing happens. No double sided arrow appears. I'm trying to drag to the edge of the mini web page - as well as the full computer screen. Neither does anything.

I do not see a cursor in the form of small flashing underline. Except if I click on the screenname field of gmail - but I can't get it to move to the edge of the page.

Lynn.

o
Only gmail page is tiny

I think all the pages were tiny before - but I could be wrong. Now I noticed that only gmail tab - or google search is tiny. Amazon, youtube, etc are full sized.

????
Lynn.

o

o

Thanks Raven. I don't think this is a windows resizing issue (although that could be a troubling feature worth turning off as well). The last article you linked had this in it - which might be what I"m experiencing:

"But I have another problem, how do you turn off the blue grids when it comes to internet explorer/firefox? It snaps into small grids when i move them to the edge!"

But that was one of the last posts - and nobody addressed a solution. It's not the window shrinking in half. It's an open tab/web page - shrinking to maybe 1/6 of the page or less - and it might be as though it was being shrunk into a rectangle in a grid.

Interesting to read how many annoying features people have discovered in Windows 7 - that are set by default. I'm still on XP - so I won't know this stuff if my daughter runs into trouble.

Thanks.
Lynn.

o

It sounds to me like its zoomed to 25% or something of normal size = small. Zoom it back to 100%... Control key + Scroll Wheel. Or Ctrl plus the addition sign. Firefox probably has a zoom setting in it too.

o

Hi, Mikie. I'll try that in the morning - the laptop is shut down for the night. It may have zoomed down - although I'm not sure how I did it. There's just a touchpad - no scrollwheel - so I'll try Control plus the addition sign. I'm pretty sure I once stumbled on a zoom setting in firefox - but I can't find it now.

Lynn.

o

view > zoom in fire fox or control++ and control+-

o

I use FireFox add on "NoSquint 2.1". It's easy to use, just a simple + or - icon on your toolbar. The thing I most like about this addon is that after you set the page size it automatically resets that page to your setting the next time you visit that page. I find that I use this a lot.

Not sure this is part of your problem but thought I would mention it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here