Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer shutting down

Posted by arosegirl (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 10:14

Every night, my computer shuts down or restarts. How can I prevent it from doing this without my permission? I have Windows 7. Thanks
If you need anymore information I will be happy to supply it. Charlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer shutting down

Desktop? laptop? sits on the table? sits on the floor? First guess would be it's overheating. Have you ever opened it up & blown out the dust bunnies?

o

It is a new Dell Desktop. I really don't think it is overheating. I am thinking it has something to do with Windows 7, maybe doing upgrades and shutting down, but I would like to be ask before it does.

o

To stop auto updates in Windows 7 click Start
click Control panel
click System and Security
click Turn automatic updating on or off (this is a sub header under the Window update tab).
Do your thing.

o

also could be under power saver controls, set them all to off if any mention a time it will shut down or go to sleep etc. You can google power saving mode in windows 7 to find out more

o

Thanks, if I turn the updates off, will it let me know when updates are available?

o

Make sure you are using it on a solid surface, not your lap, ontop of the bed etc..as it blocks the fan vents and will over heat..

o

yes it will have a pop up down by the clock, be sure you do not have yours in the hidden icons thing if you do you can move it down onto the bar so you can see it better.
Just make sure when you make your choice you pick the one that says notify me do not install or something like that.

o

Thanks so much. I followed the advise given and it has not shut down since. I really appreciate your help.

o

""Make sure you are using it on a solid surface, not your lap, ontop of the bed etc..as it blocks the fan vents and will over heat.."" LOL at me...I could have sworn I seen a laptop mentioned..oh well..lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here