SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Who (what) is using my computer?

jerry_nj
12 years ago

The subject case is a XP Home computer, but I think I see similar on my W7 machine too.

This morning I was using the XP notebook (Gateway, circa 2005) and I noticed an unusual delay in activation of Firefox. Looking at the HDD LED I could see a lot of activity over a period of several seconds. I decided to shut down, and even the call to shut down the computer was delayed. I turned off the wireless connection to the Internet and started the machine up again. The busy HDD started immediately. I again looked at Task Manager and nothing was shown, so I looked at performance and saw a steady 100% use of CPU, looking at Processes I saw at the top of the list [Hotsync.exe, shown as owner]. There was a whole page of processes listed, but the Hotsync was at the top of the list and I figure it was what was devouring my computer resources.

Any idea what this is? Should I be concerned... I note I have a Palm Desktop program on that machine that isn't being used and which was off. That is the only known application that I can think of that has a hotsync function, but I believe only on a demand basis an when a PDA is attached to the USB of the subject computer.

I may be overreacting but with all the bad stuff out "there" and having all my computers automatically connect to the on-ramp I worry. Too, I was trying to access my ISP when in noticed the browser delay and very busy computer.

Comments (2)