Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is windows security essentials really that good?

Posted by andrew2222 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 6:11

Since loading windows security essentials a year ago I haven't had a single piece of malware detected by Malwarebytes or Spybot. I'm using Windows 7 on 2 comps. Is there anything else I should be doing or is it that good at keeping the bad stuff out?

Andrew.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is windows security essentials really that good?

Yes it is!

I have nothing else on this computer and have been running it since the day it was released. I have also installed it on numerous other computers and recommended it to anyone needing protection.

However if you have any doubts then consider including Malwarebytes which you can then run as and when you feel the need.

o

Since I started using MSE I've had 3 or 4 alerts saying it found a problem and fixed it. In the same time I've had maybe 2 alerts each from Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. I usually don't go to web sites that I suspect are unsafe. I wouldn't intentionally go to an unsafe site just to find out if MSE would protect me. Sometimes I do like to find out what is in the mystery links I get in my spam emails, but when I do I use Linux for that.

o

yes

o

Reading is in the pudding.

Please read the prior link tagged below.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help Forum

o

I've used security essentials for a long time, probably since it was first beta. Only virus it gets, is the ones that I might download and install myself.. ignoring its warnings... and I have to either turn off security essentials or allow the bad guy to even use those even its just a risky program.

Maybe 3 or 4 times security essentials has turned my screen red while browsing,.. warning a site contains risky somethings before loading the page. Giving the options to load or not. Then its often 'Security Essentials will now clean your computer OK ... then you can look in its history to see what it removed from the browser cache.

Pretty simple program. New version loads small incremental definition update files usually just kb's in file size compared to the older versions updating 6 or so mb each time.

I set the limit cpu usage to 100% on its back tab.. two core cpu here shows around 50% each core when scanning. so you still easily surf the web or do other stuff while it scans relatively fast.

o

Would you recommend MSE over AVG?-
I have been running AVG, seems to be a resource hog-
Would MSE be a better choice?

o

There's nothing to be lost by trying MSE...is there? If you don't like it, you can always try something else.

o

Make sure you use the AVG removal tool before installing any other anti virus products.

''AVG Remover

AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc.
''

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

o

I found the following very interesting article written by 'imdoody' here:-

It really does not matter what antivirus is used, but have it. Even more importantly, be smart when using the web and internet. Here are some very good steps that will prevent almost all Maleware/viruses (The crazy thing is, it's not a program; Its You, the end user!)

1. Don't look at Adult Material (aka Pr0n) on the internet.
2. Don't download kazaa, bear share, limewire, etc, etc.... buy your music for real.
You end up spending more money paying "geekpatrol" (trying not to use real names) to fix all the viruses you received because your 13 yr old daughter was trying to download the latest Avril Lavreign song on limewire.
3. Stay away from anything free (i.e. "try this free for 2 weeks, cancel anytime, free acie berry diet pills... the list goes on..." some free stuff is good, like MS security essentials....)
4. Don't click on untrusted "Sponsored adds" or download email attachments from untrusted senders. (UPS, facebook, or ebay will not send an attachment to update your password, or track a package.... EVER!)
5. Facebook is great for catching up with old friends, or staying in touch with new ones. But stay away from all the ads and BS games.
6. Don't click on pop ups or windows that say things like "1200 viruses found click here to clean!" (Wait, how did they find 1200 viruses and when did I start a scan? OH I don't remember installing AntiVirus 2010!!!! ("alt+F4" is your friend it will close fake pop ups like these.) you may loose what you are looking at but it is worth it.

7. DO google search companies that you are unsure about followed by "Consumer reports" or "BBB" (Better Business Bureau)
8. DO use intra site searching when using google. Example: you are searching for Microsoft security essentials, if you put "site: microsoft.com" after your search keywords it will search through Microsofts site first and display those results before any other sites.
9. DO right click and select "Copy shortcut" for any unusual looking links and paste it into notepad, the displayed text for a link can be deceiving... http://www.ebay.com is much different from http://www.ebay.oedl.eds.something.com, websites are ready backwards starting with the .com then the primary domain, this example would be ebay.
and..

10. DO WATCH your kids internet and computer use.... No you are not snooping, or creeping, or invading privacy... you are being a good parent. I cannot stress this enough! The internet can be a dangerous place; I know, I've been there....

Look into http://www.opendns.com for keyword filtering, restricting websites, and many other free options.

I hope this helps a bit, as I have been in the IT field for quite a few years I have seen all the different types of users, and one thing they all have in common is that they don't understand the technology. But with a couple easy to remember tips it is easy to stay away from viruses and maleware.

one more, search: "uninstall software site: microsoft.com" and "removed Tool bars site: microsoft.com" get rid of un-needed programs and excessive toolbar addins.... if you have more than one tool bar in your internet explorer, you should get rid of them (and watch when installing apps, like yahoo messager, Adobe Reader, java, etc. They all have a prechecked checkbox to install a toolbar. just uncheck it.... )

O and Run an antivirus/antimaleware.... doesn't matter which just make sure some popup said if you buy this now it will fix your problems. Trust the trusted providers,

o

YES!...coupled with the paid version of Malwarebytes.

I'm not sure I would use it as a stand-alone because over the year or so that I've had them both on my system...Malwarebytes has blocked or caught more than Security Essentials has but I'm very satisfied with the combination. And yes...I would recommend it over AVG. I had the paid version of AVG and I replaced it with this current combination. IMO...AVG isn't what it used to be. In the computer field...there will always be advancements in protection. It's up to us to keep abreast of them and utilize what's considered the best at the moment. I do not agree with Consumer's latest contribution...noting that their research is often months old before it reaches their pages...and I use my system just short of 24/7 for research as well as professional writing.

Anne

o

Yes, it is.

o

I have used it on my family members computers with good success

o

I agree. I didn't know I could use it alone. I still use Malware and Superanti Spyware also. Super seems gets things Malware misses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here