Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monitor PC decisions

Posted by ellie45 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 4:50

I smelled a faint electrical smell tonight when I entered the den.The monitor was not working.
For the last two weeks the monitor lighting was dimming and returning to regular light. The little blue light came on and turned off for good when I jiggled the plugs. The plugs at the monitor have always been fickle but eventually worked.

Tonight I plugged and unplugged the monitor from the electric and my PC. I could not get the screen to come up.. I can buy a new monitor and hope that solves the problem.

The PC turns off and on and sounds good. The mouse, printer,keyboard all light up. And, my iPad and iPhone work- they would not work if the computer had a serious virus would they? My computer account settings would not work either?

IF THE COMPUTER WORKS MAYBE I WANT TO REPLACE IT. HERE'S THE CATCH.

I wrote on here a year ago that my Microsoft libraries on my windows 7 have been way out of order meaning after a reset to an earlier date I had doubles of docs and photos with docs in the picture and Videos library and a mixture in other libraries. I learned that Microsoft libraries are not necessary at all. It was suggested I go to an expert to put things in order. Well, there is no expert and I could use my programs nevertheless. I took another piece of advice here and started saving old and new work in folders on my desktop. It was great advice although not everything can be there.

My external backup died a month ago. I have the original discs.

What happens if I decide to buy a new PC and add Microsoft 8? Will my documents transfer to the new computer or not?

Thanks for any bit of advice you have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monitor PC decisions

If the blue LED light on the monitor is not working it would be fair to assume the monitor is dead. Over time monitors have come way down in price. It used to be that a repair on a monitor was $100 no matter what the problem was, if that still holds then even taking it in would seem unwise to me.

On your current Windows 7 computer have you tried the Windows repair feature? You could also use Google to search for 'Windows 7 repair' as I did and find one or two articles written in a way you are comfortable with and see if you cannot fix the machine. There are even tutorials on this in Youtube that you might find very helpful.

While you are on a fixing bent you could also Google 'repair external drive', you may be pleasantly surprised to find a fix for your drive. Certainly worth a few minutes investigating.

o

Those certainly are good suggestions. I have tried Windows repair in the past and had good results. From the comments I got on this forum I was led to believe that it was way over my head to fix the libraries. So many duplicate categories that probably started when I had a fix-it shop look at a problem and they assigned a new source name for all my docs. I could never get the duplicate documents to go to one source because when I dragged it the message came up that said this item is the same as the source. Cannot move. Something like that. I love YouTube and would go there if I could explain the topic.
Something else I thought I might be able to do is to take the documents and pictures I want out by using a thumb Drive. Then I would get a computer with Windows 8 and add my saved docs and pics and videos. The external drive was dead and I threw it out. Lesson learned there.

o

Ellie wrote:- Something else I thought I might be able to do is to take the documents and pictures I want out by using a thumb Drive. Then I would get a computer with Windows 8 and add my saved docs and pics and videos.

Yes of course you can do that. It just seems a shame you will discard a Win7 computer. But on the other hand if you do buy a new computer you can then do a complete fresh re-install of Windows 7 on this computer and get rid of all the old issues.

A re-install does not take too long but downloading service pack one (SP1) and all updates after will take a little while. SP1 for a 32 bit machine is 537 megabytes, if you have a 64 bit computer it is 903 megs. I offer that in case you are on a limited monthly gigabyte allowance

o

I never liked the libraries that came with W 7 so I removed them from the task bar and the start up menus and put 3 folders on my desktop like the older OS's did. While I was trying the libraries I found things in there that I did not put there. I didn't know if they were important things or not. I keep almost everything in alphabetical order. Photos I keep sorted by travel, family, my family, my sis's family, Misc photos, etc.. I keep my EXD items sorted by date of back up.

I only keep 3 items on my desktop, recycle, my computer and Emma's stuff. I even go so far as to change the icon pictures to match my wallpaper and drag them down so the names don't show.

o

I'm so glad to have more input.. I'm not alone.
I must believe that if my iPad and iPhone are working that the PC works. Yes?

I would like to buy a monitor about 23 inches. One that will work with Win 7 and Win 8. I looked at PC Mag and their top ten that can be bought at Amazon are very expensive - 1,000.
Funny on Amazon the ones w/4 + stars have many in my price range of $200-300.

If my computer works I can use I Cloud and Picasso to store docs and graphics. Yes?

Then if my current PC dies I can still pick up my saved files off the PC on a new machine Yes?

My Azus PC came with 10 USB ports. . 5 are in the front. All but 1 are dead.
The computer was a Best Buy recommendation and a terrible catastrophe before it left the store. It was replaced with another Azuz and with help from Landzdown and here it at least runs.

Before I reinstall, Owbitz, I need a monitor. Mine now is a simple Samsung 19 inches. I read that when Win 8 becomes mandatory we will want a touch screen monitor which sounds utterly tiring.

I can also look on YouTube and google to see what I can find on flying library repair.

EmmaR - it was your advice to use my desktop for files and I have been afloat because of that.

I will start a new post asking for recommendations. If you have more insight for me, I will look back here. I have a few questions I asked above concerning I Cloud and Picasso or Photobucket.
Thank you so much
Thank you for your patience and sharing.

o

I refuse to use the Cloud preferring to keep my stuff here but others will be able to help with that. Yes you can store there and retrieve it on the new computer.

You do not need a touch screen for Windows 8 or 8.1 any regular screen is good.

Out of curiosity what is the make and model of the current computer? Seems to me you never had the best buy at Best Buy.

o

I am sorry I thought you were using the libraries.

o

First of all, tEmmaR you might not understand my comment about libraries. Your idea back when referring to putting docs and pics on desktop worked for me. You gave me a shot at organizing my flying docs. I am grateful for the advice.

Owbist, yes, I have had quite a story with BB. I vowed never again
My brand is a Asus INTL
SKU: 1243294
Model: Cm5675-09
Bought in 2010.
This is the 2nd. They gave me a bad one and lied and one brave geek squad worker spoke up against the manager of the dept. and the store. He said , yes you gave her a bad computer - I saw it. So, they replaced it with the only extra model in the back.

My neighborhood got rid of them but the guys moved to the next closest. Same lying crew.
I have notes you wrote to me at that time.
My last computer lasted 13 years. I had computer friends then.
Any suggestion for a new one would help me at some point.
Thanks for all the answers.

o

First of all, tEmmaR you might not understand my comment about libraries. Your idea back when referring to putting docs and pics on desktop worked for me. You gave me a shot at organizing my flying docs. I am grateful for the advice.

Owbist, yes, I have had quite a story with BB. I vowed never again
My brand is a Asus INTL
SKU: 1243294
Model: Cm5675-09
Bought in 2010.
This is the 2nd. They gave me a bad one and lied and the geek squad backed up against the manager of the dept. and the store. My neighborhood got rid of them but the guys moved to the next closest. Same lying crew.
I have notes you wrote to me at that time.
My last computer lasted 13 years. I had computer friends then.
Any suggestion for a new one would help me get some working ports.

o

When our last old CRT went we plugged the computer into a TV and have been quite happy.

This post was edited by albert_135 on Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:57

o

Ellie, you can purchase a USB gizmo (the term escapes me now) that you plug into a working port, and it will give you several additional ports. I recommend one that is AC powered for best service. It's a cheap fix until you do decide to get another computer.

o

Hey grandmas you're kidding me. That would be the right think to do. I will try to search for it. THANK YOU.

o

I got mine at Wal-Mart. It's called a USB Hub. Glad I remembered what it's called.

o

Grandms, thanks for the name and place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here