Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PC won't let me download

Posted by oliverp (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 3:44

I really don't know what has happened to stop me downloading items. It seems to be affecting everything I try to download.

One example is that I do a monthly challenge on one of my Yahoo Groups and each month I download the instructions for the months project. Every time I try to download the instructions I get a message for that item "May Bag etc pp.pdf is not a pdfFactory Pro file. It's even happening to items I've previously downloaded. Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong or what I'm doing wrong please?

Thanks in advance

Marian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PC won't let me download

First thing I would do is to see if my firewall and/or anti virus has been turned off by roguewares.

Then I would try to update then run my anti spyware programs. Run it even if the update is not allowed and see what is found.

You might also consider starting in safe mode - tap F8 during startup - remove the internet cord and run the tests again and see if things change.

What anti spyware programs ar you running and are they up to date?

o

since something may have got on your pc and shut off some of your programs it is a good idea to do an online scan to see what they find. Here are a couple I suggest you go run on your pc, let them clean anything they find.
trendmicro

malware scanner

let us know what was found and what is happening

o

My first thought is the file association is improper.

Please, what does the appearing message say in its entirety? Also, right click on one of the previously "good" downloads and click on Properties. On the General tab what type of file is identified?

I do not know of a pp.pdf extension and a cursory review at Google does not report one. I am wondering if the file's creator has inadvertently co-mingled extensions; ppt, pdf and perhaps the recognized abbreviation for pages pp.

DA

o

I did not recognize it either and did the google search and found only this post showing up. Either some file extensions are screwy or something is causing conflicts.

o

PDF is the extension for Adobe's Portable Document Format. The pp is just part of the file name (It's a pdf named "May Bag etc pp" with an extension of pdf).

Did you recently install a new program (PDF Factory) and let it be the default for opening pdf files? It's possible that the file is corrupted. It's also possible that it's in a newer PDF format that PDF factory doesn't yet understand. Try right clicking the link and downloading the file to your hard drive, then instead of opening it by double clicking it, right click and select open with. One of the options should be Acrobat Reader (I've got version 8.1). If it's not one of the options, you can select Choose program.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can get it here.

Another program that reads PDFs is Foxit Reader.

o

WOW, thanks to all you guys for all your help, it really is much appreciated.

I have checked to make sure the firewall is switched on. In fact the Windows firewall is off but I presume that's because I have McAfee virus and firewall and McAfee says "enabled and up to date".

Also I use CCleaner and Ad-Aware, both were recommended to me by this forum and are used regularly. Thanks again for that too.

Anyway to get to the point, I followed the PDF instructions by bpgreen and I'm very glad to say it worked fine. I already had version 8.1 so it was great. Thanks very much. I have got a free version of PDF Factory and I had a feeling somewhere along the line I'd messed up something.

I use my PC such a lot but am useless on the technical side so I really do appreciate the help I get on this forum. You're a great group.

Many, many thanks for all your replies, Marian

o

I'm having the same problem here. As of this afternoon, no downloads. I can't figure it out, any help?

o

Have you followed all the suggestions posted above starting with the online virus scan.

o

First thing is run your AV, there could be a trojan in your downloader, many ppl have anti virus programs but fail to scan entire PC from time to time which is very necessary...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here