Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pop up problems

Posted by ten3_2tex (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 3:36

Today I disk cleaned, defragged, ran Malwarebytes-Anti-malware, SuperAnti Spyware..........Did not get rid of Prize pop ups, and ads... several on one page, they are colorful, jump up, blink and even speak. What do I need to get rid of them? the above don't do it. I need a LINK. I don't want to Google and get into something that gets me in worse situations.

Thanks, HHH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pop up problems

Download and install this free program. Takes seconds and works beautifully.
If that doesn't do it, I'll let someone else chip in...

Regards,
Shax

Here is a link that might be useful: AdBlockPlus

o

Also install the easy List that will catch most of the common ads.

Here is a link that might be useful: EasyList for AdBlock

o

I think the OP is asking about something other than adverts, could be wrong of course.

Today on a friend's computer I saw pop ups appear when EI9 or Chrome were opened, these are 3 x 3 ads right in the centre of the screen. As time was limited then I checked around and found no installed program and HiJackThis never showed anything. I left the home with a full scan of Malwarebytes underway and will check back later to see if we fixed the pest.

o

ten3-
Have you ever added any free toolbars or search engines or screensavers to your computer? Often these freebies are not ad-free.

o

Open your broweser and look at the address of your home page. If it is sweetim.com simply change it back to what it was before and it seems you will be good to go.

I spent a long time with scans ete before looking in the address bar, stupid but easily done. Hope this works for you

o

Still have issues?

DDS is a program that will scan your computer and create logs that can be used to display various startup, configuration, and file information from your computer.

Download DDS frrom the link below post the 2 resulting log files it creates.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/dds/

Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop. Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

o

Thanks everyone, I will try all thats here. Was gone all day so just saw these postings............

kudzu, I use Firefox, nothing else, Never IE, never chrome. No screensavers and no toolbars..I keep to simple, plain because I really know little about computers so try to stay safe. I don't download stuff, only when I see it comes from here. I trust this site. Forgot to say I have MSecurityEssentials as my anti virus........I will say I suspect it is my Grandson. He is 10 and plays cutsey games, watches U tube, goes in FB...I have told him NO MORE, he can bring his own "toys" when he comes over. He has plenty of those..Think he could have done it? Some of the stuff that pops up is about games also prizes, Insurance, stuff to buy..........OK will try all the above tomorrow, thanks

o

Yes it's possible Grandson could have ran into some spyware and it got installed.

Try to post those DDS logs I asked for, they will not fix anything, just show us all what might be going on here.

Thanks,

Joe

o

Always remember Google is your friend. It is what you read, learn, and do with the information that counts. Just never jump into the deep end of the pool if you are not prepared.

A basic Google search could pare down information as to the concern so members can assist in a more timely manner. I am certain more than one of the responding posters Googled for information to assist.

I am reminded of a member who once posted saying, "Why should I take the time to do a Google search when I can come here and you will do it for me."

DA

o

My message would be to save this kind of problem from happening again set up a very limited user account for anyone but yourself to use when on your pc including your grandson. That way nothing can be installed with out admin rights and do NOT give anyone your admin password.
No one uses my computers on the admin account but me, I never let anyone use any of my windows machines if they need one they use linux.

under user accounts set up a limited user account!

o

First I want to thank everyone and let you know that I was not responding because of family emergency.

Shax, last night I went to the link that you mentioned (AdBlockPlus) First step, I download, says that after restart it installs, Do I want to restart......YES.....and nothing more shows. I go searching for it in download,control panel, documents, desktop I find nothing.....So disappointing...I go to bed. Tonight, I got online and NO POP-UPS....NONE AT ALL......

SHAX, THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH
HHH

o

it is a firefox add on so where you will see it listed is under tools > add ons. If you did not follow the link up above to easylist you need to do that also it loads the subscription filter into your adblock plus so it knows what ads to block, just go to that link click on where it says add easylist to adblock plus that is it.
There are so many wonderful add ons for firefox you can check them out and maybe add some to see if you like them if not it is just as easy to remove them from that add on list. I have several that I would be lost with out.

o

raven, I went to tools and saw the AdBlockPlus there. I also did the EasyList For AdBlock too. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here