Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need opinions........

Posted by bryansda (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 2:07

I'm new to this site but would appreciate some opinions. Keep in mind that I'm roadkill on the internet highway and it's tools.

I want a new 'toy'. My granddaughter will be in the hospital for several weeks this fall and I'll need something to help keep myself busy while there with her. I think I understand the differences between a netbook, laptop and tablet but can't decide which I want to get. I want something small and portable to mainly check emails, read forums, play a few games and maybe read a book, but not sure about the last one. I want to be able to multitask and really prefer using a keyboard. The screen needs to be at least the size of an ipad. I want to keep the price under $400 and the cheaper the better since I won't be using it for much more than I've stated above. We have a Kindle Fire, but I have trouble seeing it even with my cheaters.

What would you recommend and WHY?

Thank you for the help.
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need opinions........

I posted on your other thread asking this.

o

You want a keyboard, and big screen,, that's a laptop..
Get a backpack or laptop bag to carry it in along with small 6pack size cooler would be nice for goodies for yourself & her.

o

I bought a laptop for the reasons you posted and to watch movies. Mine is a very good one, I would recommend a small, light weight one to carry around with you.

o

If you get something to carry your laptop in be sure to get a product that securely encloses your lap top and the peripherals you chose to include. Zippers are the best and be sure you always use them. I have seen and heard of way too many negative incidents when not having the proper carrier and the fasteners not being used.

About a year ago my son had a 10 day old laptop in his carrier of choice which he through over his shoulder. After the crash the carrier was on his shoulder and the laptop was on the floor. Fortunately the laptop was OK. He was lucky.

DA

o

I second the suggestion of a small laptop. I have a 14" one which is quite lightweight and can be made even lighter by removing the optical drive (DVD). You can then download Kindle or Nook reader for PC and have your e-book reader on board. Rather than a "sleeve" type carrier, I have a regular laptop bag that has room for AC connectors, a mouse, and other items of necessity. And the whole thing is not at all heavy to tote around. Load some MP3s on it and add a pair of earbuds, and you have your music player also.

o

Thank you for the information and ideas.

o

DA------ummmmmm
About a year ago my son had a 10 day old laptop in his carrier of choice which he through over his shoulder.

Urlee, who just popped in and----------------(smiles)

o

As for reading emails, checking forums etc while at the hospital, unless the hospital has free or paid wireless access or you purchase a 3G/4G wireless stick and have a contract, you wont be on the internet

o

My dad spent a lot of time in hospitals & rehab centers(nursing homes) for the last ten years of his life. All had wifi.. just had to ask the right person for access.

One hospital, the nurses would leave in his rooms their working laptop that was on the medicine cart.. it had a specific purpose, and one opened full screen full time window just for that program....patient medicine dosages & those records... You wouldn't know it was a windows computer by looking at that screen.

But it ran on regular windows .. so I opened IE on it to the shock of the nurse,, suddenly I was online... got a message from IT saying internet access not allowed, please call extension###.. I did.. told them I was visitor in my dads room... IT guy said to use the internet anytime from that pc station, told me not to show the nurses how to open IE .. the nurses were not allowed internet, unless on the break room computer.

The one nurse quickly told all I think.. if you need to use the internet.. take the medicine cart to mike.

o

Mickie wrote:-
The one nurse quickly told all I think.. if you need to use the internet.. take the medicine cart to mike.

Smart thinking mike, way to go.

o

All the hospitals I have visited recently have wi-fi for use of patients and/or visitors.

o

I absolutely love my kindle fire. I can read on it, play games, surf the net and check my email. It's wifi only but suits my needs and the price was right. Mary

o

Urlee,

The carrier was a traditional one with a common shoulder strap. Holding the carrier by the strap he threw the carrier itself over his shoulder to tote it. A common maneuver at times for all of us. The carrier was not secured shut and the centrifugal force threw the laptop out of the carrier onto the floor.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here