Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Right click to save picture not working

Posted by loralee (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 08 at 22:39

I am having problems trying to save a picture to my desk top. Sometimes I see some great ideas and want to save the image as a sample to remind me what I had seen.
when I right click and the image comes up as a Gif or a PNG and I save those I can open up that image.

Where I have the problem and I did not used to have this problem until the last few weeks is: After I right click the the screen pops up and I chose save picture as then another screen pops up and the image is listed as an art, I change this on this pop up screen to a bitmap. IF I leave the picture as art it still does not open. and when I do this The picture does not open says no preview available, or in another software it says unreconizable header.

I have tried using Windows, innernet explorer and ACDSee to open these pictures.
How can I open these What has changed? I am using Windows XP. I had a friend right click on the exact same pictures and she has no problems at all opening and saving the pictures. We both use AOL and Windows XP.

Thank you I hope you can help me.

Lora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Right click to save picture not working

Maybe look at the following link....

"No Preview Available" and "File Format Is Not Supported" Error Messages Occur When You Try to View Graphic Files

Here is a link that might be useful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326675/en-us

o

.....After I right click the the screen pops up and I chose save picture as then another screen pops up and the image is listed as an art, I change this on this pop up screen to a bitmap.

Perhaps you have installed a program like Picassa or something that helps sort your photos? What photo editing/storage/sorting programs do you use?

When I right click then the second window pops up I can only select jpg or bmp to save as.

o

I am using ACDSee, but have also tried changing and opening the pictures with Windows Picture, Internet Explorer and these won't open it either.

I went through and did all the changes that was recommeded by microsoft for AOL.
I might add that my friend who has AOL can still save these very same pictures that I am trying to save.
I even went back to the older version of AOL thinking perhaps it was the latest version causing this problem.
I am using Windows XP.

I might add that any pictures that I have saved previously that are JPG or Bitmap before this problem will still open up with ACDSee and the other software.

Thanks for your help.

Loralee

o

.ART is, or was an AOL graphic extension with lots and lots of compression.

Give us a link to one or two of these .art graphics ?

Here is a link that might be useful: What is .ART,,, aol member page

o

I had never heard of .art but then I have never had anything to do with AOL either, learn something new every day!
From that article this seems to be the key cure.
It can be turned off!!

To turn it off, launch AOL. This can be done on-line or off-line. Click on My AOL, then choose Preferences, then choose WWW. There you will find three choices for graphics; No graphics, Compressed graphics, Uncompressed graphics. Choose the Uncompressed graphics. Now the whole problem of the .art files will be gone. If you download a GIF or a JPG image, it will be on your hard drive as the GIF or JPG image, and be readable and usable in the normal fashion.

I am hooked on using imageshack, they have some great extensions and add ons which make saving pictures to my imageshack account so easy. I love the imageshack extension for firefox, it allows you to just right click on any picture and from the list there is now an option to save to imageshack, voila it goes right to my imageshack account. they also have a great tool you can add to windows, any picture on your pc you can right click on and there will be a menu item upload to Imageshack, voila the picture is sent from my pc directly to my imageshack account. It has been a great help to novice pc users since it makes it so easy to deal with pictures.
http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=features
the FAQ has a lot of info

another great site I love is www.zamzar.com you can use it to change just about any type file to some other file type.

o

I did go to AOL last night and chose the do not compress graphics and there is still no change. I will see if I can send a link to a site that I have been trying to save this graphic from. I know it will open and save ok with AOL as a friend of mine confirmed it with her AOL several weeks ago.
Lets see if This link will work for you not sure if you need a password or not..the picture is of some tiny pillows.

http://www.raggedyscrappin.com/community/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34233
thanks Lora

o

reguires registration to see it.
and in the terms they spell out that they guarantee you no privacy.

o

Oh, darn, ok I have another Idea I will go to THS photo gallery. Here is a link to an amarylis flower.

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2008/04/amaryllis_1.html

now when I go to save this image after I right click the selection says ART so I click on the arrow and my only option to change it to is a BItmap which the icon for the flower shows up on my desktop as a JPEG file. The image will not open and says bad or unrecongized header

thanks for your help.

o

If you save it as a Bitmap (.bmp)
It should show up on your desktop as a filename.BMP which not actually a .JPG

What happens if you change the filename to filename.bmp
Can you open it then?

o

the image shows up on my desktop as a JPG file. I assumed since I selected to save it as a BMP that it must have been the same as a JPG file. How I change the file to something else?

Lora

o

Have you tried what it suggest at this site?

Here is a link that might be useful: change format

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here