Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lost Video

Posted by mxyplx (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 22:29

I deleted a bunch of videos and after some time (months?) used Recuva and got em back except one that was quite large (17 minutes) and I believe was well over 1 gig. Never found it or even an overwritten file that was anywhere near that big that it might've used to be. I used Recuva in deep scan mode a couple times and also tried Diskdigger - same result. I searched (with Recuva) my external drive and my thumb drives too . Also searched on board for big files thinking it may not have gotten deleted but had the file extension changed and still be floating around. No files that big.

Well I can live w/o it but sure am curious what could have happened? Do the bigger files get broken up during deletion? Where could it have goed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lost Video

The file may have been written over.

o
RE: Lost Video

A GB file is really a very large file to be overwritten, but of course that would depend on the system use, size of the H/D, and the location of the file. I am wondering about the file itself. When the system overwrites the file's space on the H/D is it byte for byte, or when any portion of the file is overwritten does the entire file shall we say dissolve?

This would require a system engineer to answer with certainty.

DA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here