SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walnutseed

Is this phishing???

abreeze
10 years ago

I recently purchased a tablet from Walmart online and bought the 2 yr. insurance plan offered at checkout. I was shocked to find two emails from: 1.McAfee Mobile Security & 2.subscriptions@mcafee. I opened the second one (wrong to do???) which said:

Dear (my name),
Thank you for your recent SquareTrade protection plan purchase. You should have received an email from McAfee with a link and instructions to download the product onto your
mobile device. Please check your SPAM folder in case you did not receive this email in your inbox and add no-reply@mcafeemobilesecurity.com to your address book in order to receive future email notifications from us in your inbox.
-------------------------------------------
Accessing Your McAfee Mobile Security Account
-------------------------------------------
You can manage your backup/lock/wipe features on the web via the McAfee Mobile Security web portal after you activate and register the product:

1. Download McAfee Mobile Security onto your mobile device and activate the product by accepting the end user agreement and registering with McAfee. You should have received
instructions for this in a previous email titled "Your McAfee Mobile Security info from SquareTrade".
2. Go to https://squaretrade.mcafeemobilesecurity.com
3. Enter your email address and password.
4. Click Sign In.

Further details of your subscription appear below. We suggest you keep this email for future reference.
Sincerely,
McAfee, Inc.
-------------------------------------------------------------
McAfee Mobile Security Information
-------------------------------------------------------------
Name: (my name)
Email: (my email)
Password: (my landline tel#)

I was so shocked that I replied to this email and said that I was unaware of purchasing anything from Square Trade. Have I opened myself up to an attack?

Thanks for your help.
abreeze

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio