Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Windows 8, Creating a backup/recovery

Posted by jerry_nj (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 20:32

The instructions on my new Gateway for creating backup and recovery medium demands one uses a USB flash drive, not a DVD in the built in DVD drive. It requires a single 16 GByte device. I liked the multiple DVDs approach provided on my last computer purchase, a Toshiba with Windows 7.

Maybe this is the new world of Windows 8.

Or is this a Gateway (does Acer own the Gateway name?) approach and I can use a Windows 8 application to created DVD based backup and recovery media?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Windows 8, Creating a backup/recovery

Okay, Jerry, Get with the program...

I just ordered a 16 GByte Flash Drive, for about $12. Problem solved.

It was just old fashioned of me, and easy for me, to want to do things the "old way", using those small capacity DVD disks.

Then, I remember using floppy disk media, if I recall correctly the first one was 750 KBytes, then the high capacity came out at 1.4 MBytes... guess that was at least 25 years ago.

o
RE: Windows 8, Creating a backup/recovery

Yes I remember those 5.25 floppy disks - and they were floppy.

Then they 'created' them as double density at twice the price. We very soon learned that by using a hole punch we could punch another hole exactly opposite the original hole so we could reverse these and use as double density. No need to buy the expensive 'double density' disks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here