Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plug ins folder

Posted by EmmaR (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 19:58

This is a first for me. I have two mini tool bars on my task bar, one holds my games another tools. I just noticed at the bottom of my tools there is a plug in folder. It is the tall list, the short list on the right is my tools. I did not put it there. why did it attach itself there. Should I leave it there or get rid of it.

W 7

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plug ins folder

Maybe you should right click and properties and see who it belongs to ?

o

I don't know what you mean, "who it belongs to". It's got the usual stuff in it, location, size, etc..

o

Mikie is suggesting you right click on that folder then click Propertied, the bottom choice. Clicking through the tabs on the new window will tell you which program it belongs to.

Unless you are sure it might be unwise to remove it. It appears like it may be the parent of the list on the left of it. Lots of Dynamic Link Libraries there to protect.

o

I see no name on the folder properties except under location and it's my name. I checked properties on a couple of the items (dlls) in the folder and nothing makes sense to me. The tool and games list are just shortcuts has been there a couple of years, the plug ins folder just suddenly appear in the last day or two. Wonder why???

The plugins folder is full of dll files so you are probably right. I will save the folder in case I need them and make up a new list of shortcuts.

The folder next to it is game shortcuts and I clicked on a couple and they would not play. The message said:
_____
The program can't start because XLayout.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

When I made a new shortcut it works.

o

Historically anything on the Desktop or Start Menu is just a pointer to a file or folder; albeit data or .exe.

DA

o

Dave, I know but was curious about this showing up after so long. I did down load Irfanview plugs in, could they all be for irfanview? If that is so where would they have gone if I had not had a folder there.

o

I checked properties in a few of them and they are all for Irfanview. I downloaded them when a message came up saying I needed plug ins.

o

My recollection is they install directly into the Irfanview folder.

You could test your .dll theory by removing the Irfanview associations that you have set. It's easy to do and then once again reconfigure to your preferences.

DA

o

Yes those are Irfanview plugins, I just checked my install. 62 items in my /Plugins folder.

o

Dave it still works but I am sure it will ask again to download them when I try to do certain things.

Owbist, I just checked in program files and irfanview with a plugins folder is in there, only a few plugins. I got rid of the ones in my tools and when I need them I will download them and see where they go this time. I had a program files shortcut in my tools folder so maybe that is why it was sent there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here