Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hope I can describe the problem, can't

Posted by shaddy101 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 19:16

figger it out myself, and asked the writer of the email, she can't either.
I am receiving emails from my friend, and are strange, this happens with no one else but her.
Particularly if it is a long one, say a forward.
Writing on left, empty spaces more writing, more empty spacing, more writing, more empty spacing, across the page, almost like columns but not that precise.
This makes the email disjointed and hard to read, and I have not been making her aware of this, thinking maybe it is something she does and hasn't realized it.
So I did make a copy of the email, sent it via MS office as an attachment, and I think she doesn't get the idea yet, but am wondering what is going on, can someone explain to me is it something on my end, or hers?
Is there anyone that can understand what I am trying to say? I have a copy of her email yet, Anyone want to take a stab at this?
I just managed to get a screen shot of the issue, but do not know how to post it here. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hope I can describe the problem, can't

I don't know what the problem is with the email, but to post the print screen, click the browse above your reply and follow the path to where you put the print screen photo. Click on the photo, then open (I think) and it should be in your reply.

o

Writing on left, empty spaces more writing, more empty spacing, more writing, more empty spacing, across the page, almost like columns but not that precise.
This makes the email disjointed and hard to read, and I have not been making her aware of this, thinking maybe it is something she does and hasn't realized it.

It's a line wrapping problem, also called word wrapping. She's probably pressing enter at the end of lines, or sending from a cell phone that makes hard returns.

It hits your system with a longer or shorter line length and the line wraps go all wonky.

Also a problem with cutting and pasting things through a series of various systems and software. They progressively get worse and worse.

=============

Search Google for word wrapping problem and the name of you e-mail prpogram. Usually there is a setting that will automatically try to fix the problem.

o

That reminds me, my sister used to have dial up and she didn't want to tie up the phone and she would type a message in a document then copy and past it in the email. it was very narrow which made for lots of scrolling. It stopped when she got cable.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 8:36

o

Well, lets see if I followed Emma's instructions close enuf.
Thanks for the info so far, doesn't sound to me as tho I can make any changes with her.

BTW, is this a new added feature to the forum? Being able to add a pic without some of those photo holding sites? If so, good job, long over do, and thanks for the info about it.

o

I find if I paste a mssg from Notepad or Wordpad or MSWorks word processor (one tuther) program into my Yahoo email it may not retain my formatting. Your friend may be doing that.

You might try copy/paste (ing) the offending mssg into Notepad or some other program see if that squares it away.

o

That is REALLY strange ... it looks more like she's hitting tab keys between the sections.

Ask her what kind of operating system and what e-mail software she's using.

If she's sending from a cell phone, what phone.

o

It looks to me like one of those "send this on to eight friends" chain-(e)mails that gets copy/pasted, forwarded, etc. over and over again, losing formatting along the way until finally it bears little resemblance to the original. Just my guess though. ;)

o

This occurs with every message she sends me, and I don't think she sends from phone. Unless the message is only a few sentences, that is what I see. Doesnt seem to be any cure for this from anyone, so guess I will tell her to stop sending, and just write short notes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here