Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer conneted to modem, cannot connect to internet

Posted by daylilydayzed (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 18:57

Hi guys,
My computer started this on Wed night , it says I am connected via the cable modem, but will not connect to the internet. I am using the computer desktop in bedroom to post this. This computer2 is connected via the router. For some reason even though I am connected directly to the modem and the router shares my connection, my computer will not connect. BrightHouse sent out a tech today to see if it was something in the modem but he couldn't find anything wrong. I have run Antimalware and Antispyware scans and both come up that I am not infected. Any ideas??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer conneted to modem, cannot connect to internet

What Operating System are you using? How is it connected to the modem?

o

So both computers are connected to the router.
The router is connected to the modem.

Can you open a command prompt from the run line with cmd, and in the black window type in;
TRACERT www.yahoo.com

What does it say? maybe right click and select all & and right click the highlight area again to copy..
if it seems to get hung the key combo CTRL+C will end it. Type in exit to close the black window.

o

Just out of curiosity, my PC's started having a similar problem right after a recent windows/microsoft update. Did your trouble start after an update?

Jann

o

bpgreen:I am using Windows XP Pro as my operating system.

Mikie:Running the CMD didn't work, It said cannot resolve to host name.

Jann: No, no updates on Wed. It started after I uninstalled I program I had a trial use of. I didn't like the program so I uninstalled it and that is when the problem started

o

Try a system restore see if that helps

o
maybe

Also try this,

Go to Start > Control Panel - If you are using Windows XP's Category View, select the Network and Internet Connections category. If you are in Classic View, go to the next step.

* Double-click the Network Connections icon.
* Right-click the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties.
* Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button.
* Be sure Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.
* OK your way out.

Go to Start > Run and type in cmd
Click OK

* This will open a command prompt.
* Type the following line in the command window:

ipconfig /flushdns (note the space between ipconfig and /)

* Press Enter on the keyboard.
* Exit the command window

Restart your computer.

o

A few other things to try:

Check that the cable is firmly plugged into the PC and into the modem.

Open network connections in the control panel. Right click the network connection that should be active (connecting the PC to the modem) and select repair.

If that works, we're done. If not, keep reading.

From the command line, run:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Note: If you've rebooted, the release/renew won't help, because they'd get done on restart anyway.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that the PC is connected directly to the modem and the router shares the connection. Does the PC have two network cards? If not, how does the router share the connection? And there's a second PC that's connected to the router and it is able to connect to the internet?

If I understand correctly, you have this setup (correct me if I'm wrong):

• You have cable or DSL coming into the house

• A cable connects The modem to the wall (phone or cable outlet)

• A cable connects the PC to the modem

• Another cable connects the PC to a router

• Another cable connects the router to the PC in the other room

Is that right?

o

We have been having trouble over the past few weeks. We boot up and find that we can't connect to the Internet. This doesn't happen every time we turn our PCs on in the morning, but it has happened about 5 times recently.

Each time we were able to fix it by unplugging the power cords to the router and modem, waiting around 5 minutes, and then plugging them in again. Within a minute or two, we can get online. This was suggested to me by a tech guy a long time ago when we first encountered this sort of problem and were new to broadband.

Our setup is:
cable to modem
cable from modem to router
2 cables from router, one to each of our computers

o

Biwako--Please start a new thread so that we don't get confused about which person we're helping. Your issues and setup seem to be different from the OP.

o

Zep ,
I did all the steps you suggested but it still will not connect
BPgreen,
You have it set up just like we have
My computer is connected to the modem, modem is connected to router, cable from wall connected to router for bedroom computer. All other computer users in house can access the modem via the router. The one computer directly connected to the modem is not able to access the internet.

I will try the step of powering off both the router and the modem and then rebooting them. It can't hurt.

o

One computer connected directly to the modem ?
Its not connected to the router ?

Plug it into the router!

o

agree I would plug all into the router that is much safer anyway since the router will or should have a firewall in it.

If it were the ones hooked to the router that had the problem it could be a bad router but if the one you have issues with is not plugged into the router that is what I would try first.
One of the first things an ISP tech will tell you is power down your modem and router, disconnect them from all power let set for several minutes then replug and try.

Let us know if plugging that one into the router works. You always want to put the router between the pc and the modem to give you the added protection in the router.

o

OK, I have un-plugged my computer from the modem and plugged the cable into the router but still I am not able to connect. Even after recycling the router and the modem , I am not able to connect. I have come to the conclusion that maybe my ethernet port is corrupted. If that is the case I will be buying a an add on card for an ethernet port.

o

Have you also tried shutting down the PC, unplugging it for 5 minutes, then plugging it back in and turning it on?

If you go to the command prompt and type

ipconfig

What does it say (you may have to expand the window to get all of it)?

Before you get another network card, I want to make sure you don't have something like a firewall stopping the access.

But if it's the network card, network cards are inexpensive and easy to install.

o

The CMD window would not stay up for me to read it. It flashed up and then it was gone. I was not able to get any information from it. So I ordered an new network card from CompUSA.com earlier this evening.

o

Did you run it from the command prompt, or did you run it from start/run?

Try start/run/cmd then press enter

That will open a window with a black background. Then run

ipconfig

o

bpgreen,
I did do the start/run/cmd then enter I typed ipconfig and and this is what it said:Windows IP Configuration. After that there is nothing and it just sits there waiting for meto enter another prompt.

o

Boot to safe mode:
1. Restart your computer.
2. When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. Select the option for (Safe Mode with networking) using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode with networking
5. Do whatever tasks you require see if you can connect to www.google.com

o

With XP I could would run
netsh diag gui

And run some simple tests or perhaps just run
netsh winsock reset catalog

and then reconfigure my network settings if not all defaults.

I read on the search that ipconfig does nothing indicates no nic is installed.. but it might be something real simple like its set to dial your modem rather than use your nic in internet options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here