Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upgrading old machine

Posted by esteban_2009 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 17:56

I finally got U-verse installed, what a difference that made in the speeds of this antique.
I also installed an additional 1GB of memory, bringing the total to 2 GB. I was hoping for another speed increase...not so. After about 3 minutes of surfing, the blue screen would come on and in "Doss" print would say something about the memory would be dumped. I had to unplug it to get it to turn off.
X-P Home, SP3 will support 2 GB of memory won't it? If so, is there more to the installation than just installing the memory? The computer does recognize there is 2 GB of memory.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upgrading old machine

exact wording of the blue screen would be great

o

Gene, it was a full screen of text, it didn't stay up long enough for me to read it all.
Thanks for the quick response.
Steve

o

The past couple of hours I have been doing research on my problem. If I failed to change the page file size after adding the extra memory, would this create the problem I described?
Is there a chance I have two sticks of memory that are not compatable?
Steve

o

The page file shouldn't have anything to do with, Windows should adjust that automatically.

Are you sure you bought the correct memory for your machine? What happens if you remove the memory? Does the blue screen go away?

Have you tried to boot into safe mode?

o

If it was a virtual memory blue screen (which is diff than above) this may apply

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue screen virtual memory XP

o

Great responses from all, thanks.
Genes, that was a interesting link, but that didn't show up.
Mike, I couldn't get into Safe mode when I had both sticks of memory installed. I removed the stick that was furtherest from the CPU and all is well now....1GB instead of 2GB.
Later today I will remove the stick that now is in the machine and compare them side by side and report back.
Steve

o

If Windows boots normally without the new memory, it points to the memory being the culprit. What make/model is your machine and what made/model is the memory?

I'm assuming the BIOS is reporting the stick as being installed?

o

Check at Crucial.com to find out what speed memory sticks are compatible with your machine and max memory for that model

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here