Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's The Deal With Avast Shields?

Posted by justme4now (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 17:09

It may just be coincidence (I doubt it) but every since I installed Avast Pro anti-virus, I have not been able to connect (other than locally) until I stop the Shields!?

I have no idea and am not even sure if I need to run these 'shields'?

There is an option to disable the shields permanently and I am pretty close to doing just that!

I Have to assume that it's the shields because I can start the pc .. wait 30-40 minuets and have only a local connection .. until I disable the shields and then .. almost instant internet!

One more thing .. It appears that Avast is also responsible for changing the color of my task/launch bar and I can't change it back!?

It has always been black and now it's a washed out grayish color!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's The Deal With Avast Shields?

It's also changed your period key to an exclamation point!

o

(It's also changed your period key to an exclamation point!)

That is odd, isn't it?

o

"I read through several of the topics at avast forums but no specific solution and the problem does not affect everyone"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492708/whats-the-deal-with-avast-shields/

Joe

o

Obvious solution is to get rid of Avast & use another brand.

o

It's the shields!
I disabled them all and the problem ended.
I'm not even aware of the reason why you need these shields anyway?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here