Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone Alarm - conflicting messages

Posted by juneroses (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 16:59

I need guidance on conflicting Zone Alarm messages. My question is: do I or don't I have a working Zone Alarm firewall?

When I mouse over the ZA icon in the Start Panel, it says "ZoneAlarm Your computer is protected". The version is 11.0.000.018. When I manually try to update it, it reports that it is updated.

However, I happened to open FF 20.0.1/Tools/Add-Ons/Extensions and noticed that ZA is greyed out and it says "ZA Security Engine is incompatible with FF 20.0.1". The Security Engine is 1.5.393.18 (disabled).

Meanwhile, I've re-enabled the Windows firewall as a precaution.

If the ZA is non-working, I'd appreciate suggestions on a compatible free replacement.

Many thanks.

COMPUTER: Win XP with SP3, wired WPA router, MSE, MAM, SAS, Spyware Blaster, Spybot S&D, All software basically updated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone Alarm - conflicting messages

• Posted by mikie z9 St.Pete.FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 23:44

I don't know zone alarms well, nor firefox too well, its not my normal everyday browser. But I do know that firefox will disable any 'Plug-ins, Add-ons, Extensions, etc that are incompatible with it.

This does not mean ZoneAlarms is not acting as firewall. It only means that whatever plug in for some kind of added protection beyond the normal firewall rules isn't working.

Might possibly be you could uninstall zone alarms completely somehow, and reinstall it completely fresh... hopefully zone alarms is smart enough it would recognize the particular plug in isn't compatible with current firefox versions and not install that plugin, but perhaps maybe a different one.
I'm just guessing.. I really don't have much respect for zone alarms from years ago experiences and don't know if they have code writers that would check compatibilities now or not - but for something as popular as firefox they certainly should.

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 23:51

o
RE: Zone Alarm - conflicting messages

It may be a general warning but it is unclear; probably referring to the ZA Toolbar only since that is the browser's Add Ons Manager.

In the Add Ons Manager, the window where you saw the message, I usually look to the right of the message for a button that says "REMOVE". If that message has no buttons, I consider it a warning. If it does say "REMOVE" then it needs to be researched. Sometimes you can post a message in Zone Alarm's Support Forum and they may respond quickly with a fix.

I too got the message when I looked but there was no Remove Button and ZA remained active.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here