Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why is Gardenweb soooo slow- ONLY Gardenweb...

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 16:01

Why is it that the ONLY website/forum that I use is Gardenweb so very slow?! It takes about 7 minutes to type and preview/submit this! I don't see what I type for about 2 minutes! I had the computer repaired. Gardenweb is the only one that does this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why is Gardenweb soooo slow- ONLY Gardenweb...

it is very ad heavy with lots of graphics and videos imbedded and it can really cause a pc to crawl trying to load all of that. If you were to add something like firefox with ad block plus and the easylist subscription that blocks all of that stuff from trying to load you would see it speed up a lot. I see a dramatic difference when I am on my pc with that on it and when I am on my tablet with out that on it. The ads are just over whelming and over laying much of the pages.

o

In InternetExplorer, enabling Tracking Protection easylist seems to block all the bloat.

o

Agree with ravencajun and mikie. In addition, how fast is your Internet connection?

o

I'm on board with this too. Plus, add all the cookies being generated. You would think GW is a subsidiary of Nabisco.

If you have any doubt as to what has been presented here just run CCleaner followed by clicking on GW. Watch the bottom of the browser window as all the dedicated webpage items load.

DA

o

Thanks for the ad block plus and easylist subscription reminder, Raven! I started noticing in the past month or so that GW was literally eating up 85 to 100% of my CPU power. I saw this post, installed ABP and the easylist subscription and my computer is back to normal :-)

o

That is great, and shows exactly what we mean about why it can really slow things down.

o

I had not noticed gardenweb being slow or bloated. I do use AdBlockPlus though, wouldn't want to have to browse without it, I would of course but... wouldn't want to have too. :)

I also use Ghostery to supposedly thwart some of the numerous tracking scripts, although I don't really don't know how much they would otherwise slow me down.

I also allow NO cookies by default, make exceptions only for those I'm willing to allow. But I guess that's neither here nor there, esp. since I have to allow at least gardenweb's 1st party cookies.

o

With Linux I use Iron 7.0 Browser and the Gardenweb windows open so fast the monitor slides back. :-)

o

my laptop screen slams shut when i exit garden web
on ie9

catches my fingers if im not quick

o

Where do I find "easylist" ?

o

o

Thanks for the prompt reply Raven

o

I also run Fanboy subscription too. I can't remember why, but I know it was for a good reason as something like this I don't experiment.

DA

o

fwiw...
I've been experimenting since I made that above message.... turned off fanboy and saw nanner ads here... reenabled it and turned off easylist. No ads anywhere that I have noticed.

Looks like fanboy maybe is better than easylist. Only place easylist seems to block that fanboy doesnt for me is my yahoo mail - when I empty deleted or spam folders.. that folder backgroud wallpaper area?? becomes large advertisements. Other than that.. I dont think I've seen ads anywhere.

o

Sorry it took mw so long to respond- but getting to Gardenweb page became impossible until yesterday.
Now, there seems to be no problem with Gardenweb. I did not download the Easylist because the link you provided says it has been removed.
Whatever made it not respond is gone for now...

o

Not sure what you mean about easylist being gone, I just clicked the link and went right to the page for it, and the link for add easylist to adblock plus is right there too. If you don't have any of the subscriptions added to your adblock plus you are not getting much out of it.

o

When I go to the link, it says 'page has been removed'.

o

I have no idea why you are seeing that because the page is indeed there and working fine, I have used the link on 3 computers to check. Here is a direct link to the easylist
Add EasyList to Adblock Plus

or you can do it from with in adblock plus add filter ("Tools" -> "AdBlock Plus Preferences..." -> "Filters" -> "Add Filter Subscription...") select easylist from the list apply ok.

Choosing a filter subscription

I know some people do use easylist and fanboy together however there in the directions from the creator they do state not to use those 2 in combination.
"As a rule of thumb, you should not use filter subscriptions with overlapping competencies. For example, using EasyList (mainly targeted at English-language sites) with an EasyList supplement for your region (like RuAdList for Russian sites) is fine. However, Fanboy's List (another list with main focus on English-language sites) shouldn't be used in combination with EasyList."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here