Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something wrong with Avast Web Shield?

Posted by lydia1959 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 15:59

I've got 4 infected pages alerts from Avast Web Shield within the past 5 minutes.. a couple were 'malware detected' and a couple were 'trojan horse blocked'. These are pages I normally check during the day (a trivia game, Wellspere and a thyroid forum). I can't imagine that there is really a problem with them.

Avast seems to be working fine otherwise. I am using Windows 7 and Firefox.

False positives maybe??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something wrong with Avast Web Shield?

Up -Date and run a Malwarebytes scan for starters. See if shows anything.

o

On the pop ups it says 'HTML:RedirME-inf (trj)'. This is a trojan or malware?

o
RE: ...Something wrong with Avast Web Shield?

Okay, ran Malwarebytes and that came up clean. Ran my AV and there was 870 infected pages which were put into the Avast chest. Ran a slower scan at Avast and this time nothing was found, but a few pages couldn't be opened. Just clicked on my trivia game and no pop-up this time... so hopefully the problem has been taken care of.

o

You're not alone. I also began receiving multiple Avast reports of blocked malware and trojans late this afternoon. It said the infection was:

HTML:Script-inf

I updated Malwarebytes and began a full scan. In the midst of the scan, Avast popped up and said something to the effect that it wanted to do a boot scan. I let it.

It reported:

C:\CMPNETS\MEDIACTR\I386\MEDIACTR.CAB:>medcthlp.cab:>rmtview.chm:>htm\accessibility.htm is infected by HTML:script-inf

There were several options and I chose "Move to Chest". The response was:

"Move to chest: ERROR 42111 (the operation is not supported for this type of archive.)

I selected Escape, the computer rebooted, and I ran a full Malwarebytes scan. It found no infections.

My computer seems to be back to "normal".

HP XP Media Center; SP3, FF 3.6.16, Avast 5.1.889, MAM, ZA, SAS, Spybot SAD, Spyware Blaster

o

It's likely a false positive. There's literally HUNDREDS of people on Twitter complaining of the same issue,

Problem was with bad Avast update (110411-1). Check your Engine & Definition update status and if you have that one, run another update.

o

I had trouble getting an update this afternoon shortly after 3PM EDT. I kept getting an error (403, I believe). I gave up and later did a manual update which went just fine.

o

Problem I had with the error 403 must have been sorted out yesterday as I got my update on the 12th

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here