Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mouse problems

Posted by nelles (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 15:35

The center button on my corded mouse will not scroll up/down when I just roll the button. It will scroll if I press the center button and get the up/down arrow icon.

The mouse does not have a ball underneath - it's a red light. I think the mouse is full of cat hair ( ironic, huh?), but I'm unsure how to take the mouse apart.

There is a small Phillips-head screw underneath, but I'm too chicken to take the mouse apart.

Maybe I should consider a cordless mouse? Any recommendations for a 5 year old Dell desktop?

TIA,
Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mouse problems

Assuming you have Xp try clicking Start
click Control panel
click the mouse control (forget the name right now)
Then use the new window to check out your settings for the mouse.

Failing that visit the web site of the manufacturer and look for updated drivers, then as they are loaded they might well rectify the issue for you.

As it seems to be a laser mouse I think it unlikely cat hair is the issue. Mine has no opening on the underside for any foreign objects to get inside.

o

Thanks, owbist.

The cat hair gets in from the TOP of the mouse. I've tried using compressed air, but no luck.

I have run a diagnostic, too.

Thanks, again.

o

Well, even if cat hair gets inside form the top, it's unlikely to affect the performance of a laser mouse in the way you describe. Maybe the mouse is just failing after 5 years.

o

As far as a wireless mouse goes I really like the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 that I use with my laptop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here