Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surprise today

Posted by genes (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 15:29

Did anybody else have a rather large amount of MS Updates today..I had 25 for both my Vista64 and Win7 64 bit laptops...7 of them were for MS Office...now begins the tedious process of selecting 5 installing, rebooting, select 5 more etc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surprise today

I did mine yesterday...all at once...on 2 machines...no problems.

o

I had/have 18, and wasn't sure if it was because I just installed SP1 for Win 7 or if everyone was finding that many.

I haven't taken care of any of them yet - I've stopped downloading them the first day or two they are offered and now wait until I see if any are causing issues for others.

o

No surprise here. I subscribe to the Microsoft Security Bulletins and they served notice about a week ago. Members have been advised of the subscription availability for years.

I do not recommend doing them all at once. Historically if you float a bunch of new code you are increasing the possibility of a concern. Speaking strictly of O/S updates only block of three or four is my recommendation.

DA

o

DA, do you find the bulletins helpful to the average computer user? I checked on signing up, found "These bulletins are written for IT professionals, contain in-depth technical information" and assumed most would be over my head....

o

on many of the forums you can find the advanced postings of the upcoming patches. Some you can subscribe to or just check them occasionally especially around patch Tuesdays.
Software Updates

Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for April 12, 2011

very good to follow some of those especially like BBR where you can read the results as people do the installs so you know ahead of time if there are problems.

I also follow Susan Bradley's lists

o

Patch Watch adds problem-patch update chart

the link to the patch list Susan Bradley puts out, good to check on the ones she notes as safe and those she suggests you wait on etc.

o

M,

The more you read the more you learn. I suggest a user focuses on the Windows System and Components category. Its more down to earth with a clear chart.

DA

o

I had 15 last night when I went to shut down my computer--was shocked but didn't know how to stop it as it was in progress. I do the critical updates automatically--I know, not advised by many here who are probably right. So far things are ok.

o

I had 21 for my older HP XP desktop, 17 for a XP laptop, and 7 for Win 7 laptop. Whew! Did them over 3 days.

o

We have to remember during discussion to keep in mind the difference between updates for the O/S, and those for the Junk E-mail Filter, Windows Defender and Software Removal Tool, etc. Also, certain updates are umbrella updates; being cumulative or in effect will install other updates when installed.

DA

o

the link to the patch list Susan Bradley puts out, good to check on the ones she notes as safe and those she suggests you wait on etc.

I can't get the "chart"? Have to be a paid member?

o

Urlee,

If you are referring to the chart I previously mentioned go to the link below and and click on the + in front of Affected Software and Download Locations. A short roster will appear. Click on the + in front of Windows Operating Systems and Components. Your reference and review material will appear.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Microsoft Security Bulletin

o

Urlee I am a paid member so I do see it, I did not know it would not show to others, I am also a member there not sure if that matters, lets try this link and see if you can see the list if you scroll on down.

Here is a link that might be useful: list

o

Got it this time raven!

DA, thanks but was referring to RC's.

o

I had not turned on my laptop for two months. When I fired it up today, it found 22 updates from MicroSoft and one for Adobe Reader. I expected this since I had seen a bunch of updates on my desktop over that period.

One update took most of the time. It was the malicious removal tool. It spent some time scannning my hard drives.

o

I can beat that 2 months and raise you. When I get home to Australia next year, I'll have 2 years' worth of updates waiting for me...Yikes!

Am dreading the day(s)!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here