Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trojan.ranso

Posted by jamesntn (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 15:20

I am running windows 7. I have MSE virus protection, Malwarebytes and Supermalwarebytes. Yet, I was the lucky receiver of a Trojan.Ranso which locked my computer and demanded 300 dollars. I was able to do a system restore through safe mode, but am worried about this crap returning. This is just unreal to me, since I have never experienced this before. Anyone familiar with and have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trojan.ranso

Malwarebytes does not run in real time to protect your computer, but it can be used to scan and rid your computer of malware. After you did the restore, did you run a scan with malwarebytes to be sure it's really gone? I'm not aware of anything called 'Supermalwarebytes'. Could you be referring to Superantispyware? Same as with malwarebytes, run a scan to see if it finds anything to remove. No program can guarantee 100% protection, since new scams, trojans, virii, etc are always appearing. So all have their limitations. I would also recommend Spywareblaster which does offer some protection. Download, install, and update every week or so. No scans with this, but some protection from lots of nasties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spywareblaster

o
RE: Trojan.ranso

Sorry, I meant Superspyware. Malwarebytes did remove the Trojan. Thanks for the Spywareblaster link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here