Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PC Win Mail Contact list & copying to tablet, and Dropbox ?

Posted by debi_2006 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 15:01

I have to learn how to export my laptop's Windows Mail contact to my new Samsung Galaxy 7+ tablet. Once I figure out how to do it, whether syncing or SD card, when using the export feature from PC to tab, will a copy remain on my PC intact, or does it all move from one device to the other with nothing intact on PC? Thanks.

Also, I have Dropbox and want to forward a copy of my password list there so I can obtain PWs from tablet on the road. How safe and security is Dropbox and do you recommend I do this with my long password list?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PC Win Mail Contact list & copying to tablet, and Dropbox ?

DropBox says:
Your files are actually safer while stored in your Dropbox than on your computer in some cases. We use the same secure methods as banks.

I'm uncomfortable with the 3rd party add-ons because the only way those other people can access your account is with the dropbox password you must give them. To me thats giving my password to a total stranger without knowing how secure he keeps all of my secrets.. who is he anyways... usually just some joe with an idea. Maybe he's a smart theif with a goal.

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.dropbox.com/help/27

o

Just set up your mail account on the tab and log in it will automatically sync with the server and you will automatically have everything exactly how it is on the original, including contacts . If you delete from one place it deletes from all generally, on some you can change the settings for this.
I didn't have to import or do a thing other than add my email address to the tablet and sync voila all there.

I personally don't trust anyone or anything with my passwords.

o

That's what I thought, Mikie.

Raven, I can sync my emails so when I get them on the laptop, I also get them on my tab, but, all the contact I have in my address book on the PC, I can't seem to get a copy of them from PC to Tab.

o

Exporting you contacts to the tablet would keep the intact on your PC, but I'm not 100% sure about keeping everything synced. I _think_ you would have to make any additions, deletions, or changes on the PC and then export them to the tablet. The easiest solution might just to be a migration to Gmail. That might make even more sense if you anticipate adding an Android phone down the line.

You can make Gmail pretty darn secure by enabling Google's security feature which requires not only a password but also a PIN that Google can text or call you with to a preassigned phone number.

Along with Gmail comes Google Docs, a modest office suite of applications and the ability to store documents from your desktop. The nice thing about "cloud" applications is there's no need to syncs - everything is available everywhere. The drawback is that you need an Internet connection.

o

first why don't you try using the windows live app you can get it free from the market and I know it will sync all contacts too. I am using the hotmail app on some of mine and it is exactly like opening my hotmail on the pc. That might work better for you and let you continue to use the same email.
Official Windows Live Hotmail app for Android released

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here