Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to uninstall IE8

Posted by sjt2900 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 14:21

First I had to remove Windows Service Pack 3 and that worked fine. Now I'm trying to uninstall IE8 and when it's copying files I get this:

Setup cannot copy the file hmmapi.dll.mui
Ensure the location specified below is correct or change it and insert 'WINDOWS NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory' in the drive you specify

Copy files from C:WINDOWS\ie8

What do I do now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to uninstall IE8

Hi sjt2900,

See if these steps will work....

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1.Carefully select and then copy the following command:

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

2.Click Start, and then click Run.

3.In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.

4.Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.

5.Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

6.When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

verify that your earlier version of Internet Explorer is restored.

o

zep516, it's going through the same sequence, but I still getting the same copy error message and I don't know what to do about it. It asks if I want to continue setup without copying that file, and if I cancel copying that file Windows may not work properly.

o

See if you can download IE 8 for xp and go through the install process, then try uninstalling it again. See link for download. Try it!

Here is a link that might be useful: IE8 for xp

o

why are you doing this? why uninstall sp3 and why try to remove IE8? maybe if you let us know there may be some better way to accomplish your goal.

o

you started working on your pc with Corrine at LzD and have not been back to finish your procedures that is not a good idea, once you begin you must continue the process till they say you are clear. Please go back and tell them if you are having problems, as it states in the original post by Corrine do not try to add or uninstall anything while following the instructions. You have some serious issues on the pc that you need to follow through with and correct.
She gave you specific instructions for your pc for combo fix to run you need to follow those instructions.

I do not interfere when directions have been given by a help forum like LzD once you have begun with one forum for help you should follow only those instructions, not doing so can cause confusion and major problems.
I know Zep would not interfere either had he known you were already working at LzD. It is just protocol.

o
more

You have to remove Service pack 3 to uninstall IE 8, If IE8 was installed before Service Pack 3 was. That's most likely why the user did it.

o
more 2

Didn't know that he was at landzdown!!!!!!

o

ravencajun--I understand your concern, but it's a different computer.

o
more3

Carry on then sjt2900...

o

I appreciate everyone's help, but I have to stop for today. I'll be back at it tomorrow.

o

ok good to let us know right off when it is a different one than one you have recently posted about so we don't get things confused.

Ok then go on with Zep.

but tell us why you want to do this what is your goal? is something wrong with IE8? maybe a simple reinstall of it would fix the problem?

o

Well, the computer has been running very slowly, and I've tried about everything else and the only program I've had any problems with has been IE8. I've stopped using IE8 and have been using FireFox, but in my infinite wisdom I decided to try to get rid of IE8 on this computer since I've been using it until the other one is running properly. Only it wasn't real bright to mess with the only computer that was running fairly well. Lesson learned! I tried reinstalling IE8 and got a message that said it didn't load properly. I even tried to uninstall it again, but still got the same error message.

o

what method did you use to remove sp3? that may be the problem, sometimes it does not uninstall well. Personally I would not have messed with sp3 if you had a successful install of it since it can be such a problem child on some computers. IE8 should not be the cause of any slow downs.
What do you mean when you say slow? do you mean opening programs on the computer or do you mean doing things online like webpages and surfing? Big difference in how to approach the issue depending on what is slow.

o

Hi,

In my first post to you where I gave you the special uninstall instructions for IE8, lets try something else.

Boot the computer to Safe Mode and follow those instructions again in safe mode...

If you need instruction to enter safe mode let me know.

o

zep--"This application failed to start because UPDSPAPI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

ravencajun, I didn't bookmark the instructions on uninstalling SP3, and I actually don't remember how I did it. It was with instructions I googled on how to get rid of IE8. I know, not my brightest idea.

o

updspapi.dll is a module associated with Microsoft Windows Operating System from Microsoft Corporation. This module is the Windows Servicing Setup API.
updspapi.dll is a system process that is needed for your Windows system to work properly. It should not be removed.

Can you do a system restore?

o

Yes, I can do a system restore. Sounds like the best thing right now. The reason I started all this is because the computer is very slow to boot up and slow to open programs. Web surfing has been fine.

o
system restore

1 thing at a time. Please do the System Restore from Safe mode.

o

I did the system restore from safe mode. Actually, today things seem to be working pretty well. I think I'll observe for a while and regroup to see what exactly is going on. Thanks for the help!

o

you will need to do a re-install of sp3 remember!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here