SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Old, computer dyslexic, and need advice.

mudlady_gw
10 years ago

I will be 70 in 9 days and have never become terribly computer literate. For years, all I did was work on adding degrees to my resume and that forced me to go online and gain some basic skills. I am no longer taking courses but I remain very curious about many topics. I am a compulsive researcher whenever I want to buy something and that may be part of my problem because after I get a guru here to clean and speed up my computer, the fix doesn't last terribly long. Another problem, I learned to use a computer first with DOS and then with Windows. My browser was IE and my onlly email program had always been Outlook in it's many iterations. I am expecting a guru in the near future and he, once again, berated me for using IE and Outlook or Office email. My much hated ISP, TDS, pushes for Gmail and doesn't even very nicely support MS mail. The guru made a sarcastic comment that I will always have problems as long as I cling to MS IE and email. So, learned colleagues, I am asking for suggestions for what browser and email would be best for me. I guess I really need to make some changes. I am using MS 7 Home premium. I have MS Security Essentials for protection and it isn't keeping me safe.

Comments (19)