Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OpenOffice

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 13:10

Is it good, bad or in between? I currently have Office 2000 on my XP PC and can't afford an upgrade. WIll I gain anything if I download and try OpenOffice? Are there likely to be bugs?
Thanks,
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OpenOffice

Probably the most important thing is to decide what Office 2000 does not do for you that you think Open Office might.

Once you have done that then install OO and if you are unhappy simply remove it again. It is a large download, somewhere over 600 megs I think.

No bugs but your safety program should scan it as you download anyway.

o

If you're writing simple .docs and working simple spreadsheets, OO will be just fine. If you use any advanced features in Office, you may have to relearn how to perform the same operations in OO. If you are sharing files with other Office users, you'll have to remember to save your files in MS format instead of the default Open format. Nothing to lose by giving it a test drive.

o

I use Open Office and it's been pretty stable. There are some minor conversion issues from Word documents - odd stuff like a different bullet points or page headers that don't follow "different, first page".

I think you'll find it to be a lot like Office in terms of function layout, so you won't be hunting for, say, the bold button.

o

I only use Open Office now on all my computers. Works great I always use the drop down menu when saving a file and save it in the .doc format instead of the default OO format that way if I do have to send it to someone using Office they can access it.

o

OO v3.3.0 is currently 136.79 MB. It will not conflict with your Office 2000 so you can leave it on your system without concern.

If you want compatibility with Office the only thing you will have to do is remember when you create a document in OO to save it in the format you wish; .doc. If you don't it will default to .odt

DA

o

In OO go to tools/options/load & save/general/ always save as "Microsoft word 97/2000/zp/2007

Then you want have to remember, it does it auto....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here