SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mare_wbpa

Pandigital Novel 7' update?

mare_wbpa
13 years ago

Has anyone done the latest update on their 7" Novel. I tried to do it using the Pan-Sync on the Novel with no success. Emailed Pandigital and received instructions using computer connection. No success again. Was wondering if I'm the only one having difficulty.

Comments (47)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I have not done it but have seen several that have on other forums. Are you making sure that you are getting the proper one for your pandigital, they have so many versions now it is sometimes confusing. I think you have the white 7" USA version?

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm downloading from the site I was directed to in the email I received from Pandigital. I was sure to mention that I had the white 7' and included the serial # for my Novel. I followed all the steps, but at the end I was requested to insert the disc I got with the Novel to download the driver needed. I didn't get a disc with mine. Waiting for a reply to a follow up email. Just wondering if anyone else was having problems.

• Related Discussions

refurbished Pandigital Novel

Q

Comments (5)
    The fire can be unlocked though. There are instructions on the amazon boards for doing it but I don't quite understand it all so have not done it. I was actually going to post a question about this as there is a slot game in the android market I really would love on my kindle if it could be done. I really do love my fire and find I use it more than the laptop at home now to check email and surf. Mary
    ...See More

pandigital novel body glove case-fits like a glove

Q

Comments (12)
    no it does not stand in landscape, only as shown. The padded fabric area that morphs into the stand is sewn on at the bottom so that makes it impossible to adjust that option. I added my review and the pics with the rollover notes on the amazon page for this case since there were no pics there for it. I like the ability to add the notes on the pictures. Body Glove E-Reader Travel Hard Shell Case, Black (9112601) I used it all day yesterday to see how I liked it and honestly I really do like the case, I thought it would make it heavy but it doesn't and for me it makes it easier to hold. With my arthritis in my hands it was at times hard to hold onto the thin slick PDN, this gives me much more to hold onto which really helps when you have trouble grasping in the first place. It does block the SD card slot but it holds the unit in so securely that sliding off one elastic band does not allow the PDN to fall out, the other 3 hold it in. The unique thing I did not mention is that this case actually has 8 elastic bands that you can choose from so that it will fit various ereaders, most only have the 4. Very nice for those that own more than one type of ereader. From the provided info it holds these: Fits the Amazon Kindle 2, Barnes & Noble Nook, and Sony Reader Daily Edition, Touch Edition and PRS-700 and now they can add the PDN to their list. After having been able to test it out, I would absolutely purchase it. Just wish it came in pink LOL
    ...See More

Raven, question about Pandigital

Q

Comments (36)
    Raven, could you let me know what version of the update you get when you get around to redoing it. I got the same email today. I updated mine for the 1st time yesterday. I wonder if it's the same firmware version. According to the info in my settings, the firmware I now have is S10_09_23_B_PD......... I used the PC version and thankfully got it right the 1st time. I hope it's the latest version, tho I had no problem with the update, reinstalling my WiFi is a pain, usually takes me several tries-many many numbers and letters.
    ...See More

PD Novel?

Q

Comments (11)
    I doubt that you can do that. Amazon tightly controls its books so they can't easily be read on ebook readers other than Kindles. I have two suggestions. The best one is to download the free Calibre software to your computer. This is a safe, wonderful program that allows you to download books and then easily convert them from whatever format they are in to the format that works on your device. Once you do the conversion, you can then transfer the converted book to your ereader. Alternatively, there is a workaround that can sometimes be done on Nook devices to get around the Amazon restrictions. However, I'm not going to vouch for this, so proceed at your own risk. If you want to read about this, go to this web site: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2011/11/16/nook-tablet-now-runs-kindle-aldiko-more-no-hack-required/ The Calibre approach is likely to be the simplest one. You can view the short video that is on the home page for the site, so you'll know what to expect. It's very simple so it doesn't require significant computer skills. I've used it to convert many free ebooks for use on my Galaxy Tablet. Here is the link. Calibre
    ...See More
  • grandms
    13 years ago

I posted earlier that I had updated mine, but later I realized that the update did not "take". I still have the download on my computer, do I'm going to give it another try. Please let us know if you receive a reply to your e-mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Major Pandigital Update

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Major Update for Pandigital Novel 7" eReaders!

Pandigital Novel 7" Color Multimedia eReader (White model - U.S.)
    there you can get and view the user guide and quick start guide you may need to go over those to find the instructions on exactly how to undergo the update.

I have not done it because I have a ton of books on mine now and a lot of bookmarks and it will delete everything in doing the update so I have to back up all my stuff first and have not had a chance to do it.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

I tried it some time ago and it didn't "take" for me, either. It appeared that it did...progress bar moved across and it rebooted, etc., but no changes.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tried it again. I now have a new home screen and new "buttons', but no library. It won't recognize SD card. When I tried to download a book from my PC it didn't show up. I'm at a loss. Been to Slate Droid but they may as well be speaking a foreign language there. I was better off when the update failed. Haven't heard from Pandigital again.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I did see on slatedroid where someone said you have to flash it twice for this particular update.

You can go back to your old firmware versions, if you did not do a back up of it they have them saved over at slatedroid and I have most of them saved too.
    Or you could try one of the slatedroid ones that have been done, I know several of those were pretty good.

but I would try flashing it again just like you did and see if twice does the trick.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry to be so dense, but what do you mean by "flashing"?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

that means doing the update again flashing the firmware is the term. you are using new firmware when you install that update.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought that was what you meant but wasn't sure. I tried to "flash" it again, but when it comes to the stage where you unplug the PDN from the usb, power it off and power it on again you are supposed to get a status bar which advances to install the new upgrade, The status bar appears for a few seconds then exclamation point Andy appears and just sits there. I waited and waited but nothing happened. The "successful?" update that I did had the status bar progress as you would expect, but not with the reflash. I got an email from Pandigital. I have to call them to try to work this issue out. I don't have time now, don't know if I can get to it today. I will keep you posted on developments. Thanks for your help.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

ok when you power off then on with the volume control you need to hold it for a count of 4 or 5 then let go.

Yes keep us posted please

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Did that. Called Pandigital X 2. First piece of advice didn't work. Trying the 2nd instructions now. 1st tech sounded like a youngish woman, no language barrier, also no help. Very curt. Glad I didn't get her the 2nd time. I had to delete all the files I had on PDN and reflash. Its updating, I hope, as I type. Will let you know the outcome. Not happy that I have to spend so much time on this. The last and only other update was a snap.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

this is a MAJOR update in that it opens the Android platform to be fully open so that you can get apps that are available for Android, It basically changes it from a crippled tablet to a nice functional Android tablet.

I would love to buy another one that I can have this way and keep my original one as it is because I have enjoyed it a lot but I do want the added features and goodies that the update opens it up to.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I did the update successfully, so to speak. It now has a lot more features, but it is a completely different instrument than what I have been used to. Nothing seems to work the same. You have to click on the B&N button to get to your library. The buttons at the top of the reader are different, there is no "go to" button. Using the SD card seems to be a big challenge. Photos have to be in a "Photo" folder. It doesn't recognize anything I had on the SD card previous to the upgrade. Raven, if you like the way your PDN is working now and you can afford to buy another one I would suggest you do it. If this was the ereader I originally bought I would have learned how to use it and that would be it, but this change is a big one. I'll have to slog thru the owners manual and learn as I go, I hope. At least I finally got the upate right. I'm a little disappointed with Pandigital for not giving more detailed instructions on doing the update, you definitely can't do this one from an SD card.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

well if you choose to go back to how it was you can do that you just have to flash it with one of the older firmware versions and like I said those are all stored at slatedroid in the wiki and I have them all stored on my pc.
    I would like to play around with some of the neat apps that are available for it like yours is now.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I was over at Slatedroid, among some of the reams I tried to digest I think I remember that if you want to revert back to a previous version you have to do a backup or other procedure. I think I'll keep it where it is for now unless I really hate i,t and absolutely need to go backward. It's just that the learning curve seems to be(to me) to be a lot steeper than the original PDN.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

the only reason that they stated that back up procedure there was so that you would have access to your old version that is not necessary if you have access to it from other sources like slatedroid or someone that has kept a copy.
    They were just trying to make sure you would have that copy available. All it takes is just re flashing with the old firmware.
    Good for you to give it a try, let me know how you end up liking it.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I mentioned that there wasn't a "go to" button on the reader. Last nite, while reading I noticed that there is now a slider bar on the bottom of the screen that can take you to any page in the book by sliding the button across the bar, it also advances as the pages advance. I'll keep you posted.

• tinainky
    13 years ago

I just bought a 7" white USA version and immediately did the update from Pandigital. This is my first venture into the ereader/tablet world and I'm really enjoying my PDN. There is one thing that I cannot figure out, and that is how to use an SD card. I bought a 16GB card so I can load lots of pictures, but I have no idea how to do it. I searched and searched but do not see anywhere to access the card on the PDN. How do I load stuff on the card?

One other question about the card - neither my laptop nor a card reader will recognize this SD card. But when I put it in my camera, it works just fine. Any ideas what is going on?

• tinainky
    13 years ago

I just bought a 7" white USA version and immediately did the update from Pandigital. This is my first venture into the ereader/tablet world and I'm really enjoying my PDN. There is one thing that I cannot figure out, and that is how to use an SD card. I bought a 16GB card so I can load lots of pictures, but I have no idea how to do it. I searched and searched but do not see anywhere to access the card on the PDN. How do I load stuff on the card?

One other question about the card - neither my laptop nor a card reader will recognize this SD card. But when I put it in my camera, it works just fine. Any ideas what is going on?

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just did the update on my white 7" PDN and am still figuring out how to use it post update. The SD card doesn't work the same as pre update. The one thing that I do know is that you have to put your photos into a folder titled "Photos" before they will come up on the PDN. I haven't gotten to how to transfer books from my PC to the PDN via the SD card. Good luck, I really like my PDN, and I think I will like it even more when I learn more about it since the update.

• tinainky
    13 years ago

No idea why my message posted twice, other than the gremlins are at it again.

I wish Pandigital would post more information about how to do things, and exactly what the update is going to change.

• wyobugmama
    13 years ago

I haven't read all of the messages on this page, but I updated my Pandigital White as soon as I found out about it. I absolutely love it. I haven't put any of my books or pictures on the machine itself, though. I am running everything on the SD card right now until I learn more about this machine. If it weren't for this group, I would have been lost. Thank you.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Glad you are enjoying it, I still love mine too. I have been doing the SD card too lately, simply because when I go to do updates it wipes everything off and I had put a lot of books on it. I need to save all of those over to the SD card too.

tkaye it sounds like maybe your SD card is formatted for your camera? I have a new one that is doing the same sort of thing, it will not show up on my linux pc through my card reader at all, but when I stick it directly into the card slot on my xp netbook it sees it and opens it right up. I tried it in my camera and that tells me card error card is locked, but it is not locked. No clue! However after loading it up using my xp netbook I put it in my PDN (with it turned off always put it in with the PDN turned off) then when I turn on the PDN it says it sees the card and it accessing the contents. Then I can read from it. I do also have an SD card icon down in the icon on the homescreen that I can click and it will ask if I want to import the contents.

Have you tried just putting some epub book files on the SD card and inserting into the PDN?

How to Reformat an SD Card
    note if you have anything on the card you will lose it if you do a reformat on it!!!!

Since I picked up a couple of those lookbook readers on sale it really makes it so easy to move books from one to another with them all on an SD card since they all use epub.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since the latest update I can get books and photos to show up on the PDN from an SD card but have not yet found out how to transfer from the card to the PDN. I can transfer books and photos from my PC to the PDN's internal memory, but not yet from the SD card. I'm hoping that there is a way, it's a lot more convenient than hooking up to the PC when I want to transfer a photo or book.

• tommyboyfyi_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

HELP ME PLEASE
    I got the new update for my pandigtial novel Android I hate it how do I get the old one back please help!!!!!!T T

• susanjn
    13 years ago

Tommy, It looks like you can go to slatedroid to get it. Hopefully someone with more details will come along soon to help you.

I just did the update with no problems. I followed the directions to the letter, and it did have me turn off then back on twice. It seems like you have to download the update through your PC - can't directly update to the PDN.

I did have to reset my B&N password and network password. But all my books came back. I don't see anything that was wiped out, but I'm not using mine as fully as some of the rest of you.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

tommy I have all of the versions of the firmware saved if you tell me which one you want I can see about helping you get it. All you have to do is just re-flash it with the old firmware but my guess is you didn't make a back up of that firmware before you did this update?
    The latest dated one I have is S10_11_19

I know they have them all stored at slatedroid but I am having problem accessing the site they appear to be moving yet again, and for some reason my password is not being recognized either so I think the site is problematic

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

tommy you may be able to find your old firmware try this
    If you have not re-flashed, you can find your backup file on your computer "my document/pandigital backup". Use the usb to connect to the pc and look in your contents for that old firmware.

Also I found out this info
    For the people that downloaded the new firmware update for the white novel and now do not have the B/N app.
    Download the Nook app 2.4, not 2.4.1, which is the newest one, remember 2.4.
    That is the one that works and also, they do not tell you that, it installs in the SD card.
    So you have to have a SD card in your novel all the time to get to your B/N books.
    This works.

and
    If you use PC Application
    ( http://www.pandigital.net/?PageID=391 )
    to download firmware which the newest is 01-27-11 for the white PD. It has the all apks included.
    Follow the instructions popped-out on your pc screen , flash 2 times (1st time is for backup & clear, second time in fact is the real flash)(apparently the 2times flashing is key)

And I found the link to the pandigital support page with all the old firmware versions and the links to get them
    support.pandigital.net - /Support/FW/Novel/

and this is the instruction that was left on another forum for how to revert back
    "To bring back old version, I deleted (using PC connection) upgrade file with long name starting with SH20_2011
    Then I Found file with name, which start with S10 That was my previous firmware. Put it (using PC) in root of your reader. Turn off your reader and turned it back on by holding + with power on button for at least 5 second. That should start installation of your original version of software."

Hope that helps some of you with the problems.

• tinainky
    13 years ago

Ravencajun, I figured out the problem with my card. Its an SDHC and that card reader only reads SD cards. I bought a new card reader and it all works now. Sometimes its the simplest things...

Have you (or anyone) put in a bigger internal card? The instructions make it sound easy, but I'm so afraid of doing something wrong and killing my PDN. And I just love that little thing - don't want to destroy it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I have not done so but over on slatedroid many have and did not have any problems, I have just been using the external SD.

That is very interesting about the SDHC cards and your reader, I had no idea that would make any difference with a card reader, now I wonder if that might be the problem I am having. I am going to pick up a new card reader, mine is several years old so that may be the ticket!

• grandms
    13 years ago

I finally got the new update to install properly after fiddling with it for almost two weeks. But, oh, my, where is my READER? I think mare wrote that I have to click on the B & N icon to get it and my books. My main trouble is that I cannot connect to my secured wi-fi. I have tried every password that could possibly connect, to no avail. But I'll keep trying. If I can't access my library through B & N, then I guess I'll have to revert to the older software. I'm not sure I really want to use it as an Android tablet anyway, with the resistive type interface. It takes too long to type in things, I think.

I'll post when I finally decide what to do.

• grandms
    13 years ago

I finally got the wi-fi to connect, however, when I tap on the B & N icon, I get a message that "application is not installed on your phone." How do I get this installed?

Also cannot get my e-mail set up even though I know I have used the correct user names and passwords.

• mare_wbpa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you click on the B&N icon and get that message you don't have the complete update. I got that right from the tech I spoke to at Pandigital. He had me delete all my files except Adobe digital editions then reflash, the PDN updated perfectly on the next try. If you want to call tech support the # is (800) 715-5354. Good luck.

• grandms
    13 years ago

Thanks. I'll give it a try, and if that doesn't work, I'll call them tomorrow.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I finally got around to setting up my novel reader, I am just now updating it. I emailed them about how to go about it since I have had it so long without an update. They sent me step by step instructions. I tried to download one book and it said there was no android something or other, and I see on the PDN site it is there for the downloading in apps. I did find a site that had free ebooks, but no authors I am familiar with. I have been looking for Outlander because it would be fun to read again and I could try it on the PDN. I got wifi with no trouble at all. I am charging it now, then will do the update. Took me long enough. I think I will order the cover for it also. It is expensive, but will buy it anyway. I have tried to find a cover for carrying it in my purse but haven't found anything that is not to bulky.

• grandms
    13 years ago

Tried what mare_wbpa suggested but it would start to install, get just a short way and go back and start over again. After three tries, I got a triangle with an exclamation point with the little android figure. It would not turn off, so in desperation, I used the reset which put it back to "out of the box" condition. I was able to connect to wi-fi and re-download all my books from B & N, and that's where I am now. I did send an e-mail to Pandigital and got a reply today telling me that if some of the apps don't work, then I should re-download the update and then re-install. I am going to wait a while to do that since I'm close to my monthly limit for usage on my 3G Internet connection. This download is over 1gig, so I will do it again (I think) after next week. Right now, I'm reading a book I had downloaded and started reading previous to all this.

• wyobugmama
    13 years ago

Can anyone tell me why Epub format is not working on my reader? EPUB shows up as ASCII only. I can do PDF and RTF, but that's all.
    And also, I can't get out of these books unless I turn off the reader completely and then start over. Is this because I downloaded free versions?
    Thanks.
    Vickie

• susanjn
    13 years ago

vala55,
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just follow the instructions EXACTLY as written for the update. Since you aren't used to the old way, you won't be discombobulated by the change.

Mine seems much more responsive after the update. The pages turn more smoothly. I used to often have to repeat a page turn, but haven't had to even once since the update. I love the new progress bar and page counter at the bottom.

• susanjn
    13 years ago

grandms,

When it seemed to start over, did you just do what it said and repeat that set of instructions? I got the same thing you described (progress bar about 1/3 of the way then seemed to start over), but after turning it off and back on the second time, everything was done. I figured that's the whole flashing-twice thing.

And are you downloading to your pc or the pdn? I did it through my pc.

• grandms
    13 years ago

Yes, did it through my pc. No,after turning it back off and on, it said it had updated, and the new UI showed up, but several of the apps, including the B & N indicated they were not installed when I tapped them. So that's when I asked my previous question and also sent an e-mail to Pandigital. Their reply said if some of the apps are not installed I should completely re-download the update and install, not just reflash. I had already done the reflash several times before it finally told me it was installed. It even gave the correct number of the installation, but something in the download must have been corrupted. Certainly harder than updating something on a pc.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

did you by any chance read this part of my earlier post?

Also I found out this info
    For the people that downloaded the new firmware update for the white novel and now do not have the B/N app.
    Download the Nook app 2.4, not 2.4.1, which is the newest one, remember 2.4.
    That is the one that works and also, they do not tell you that, it installs in the SD card.
    So you have to have a SD card in your novel all the time to get to your B/N books.
    This works.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Thanks Susan, that is one thing I noticed, no way to tell if it is doing anything. That will be nice. About the instructions, I printed it out, I can read the instructions but can no longer remember even a paragraph.

I will do the update after lunch.

Raven, where would I find the nook app...on their site?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

vala unless you really want to use this thing as a tablet I really would consider NOT doing this update at least not now, I would enjoy it exactly as it is, it can do a LOT just like it is, I have not done the update on mine yet and not sure I will. I really like it as it is. If the time comes when the update seems to be working more easily and I really feel the need to have the other apps then I may do it or if I buy another PDN and do that one.

Especially since you have not been using it at all yet, use it and enjoy it for a while before you get into an update that you may find very frustrating.

I think everyone moving up to this update should definitely back up their current firmware or at the very least go into settings and write down what firmware version you have and your serial number so that should you need to revert back you at least know what one to go back to.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Thanks Raven, I was thinking of it like a pc and that it was necessary. In the instructions you gave when the PDN was first discussed a few months ago, you mentioned getting rid of the BN or BBB software on it and using Flash. I re read that thread, but don't know what flash is. I think it allowed the user to use other types of e books. Is that important?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

not sure exactly what you are referring to but you can read any epub book including library books on the PDN as it is, and most of the ebooks now are available in epub format it is quickly becoming the standard. Kindle is different they have their own format but there are many sites that also have free books in kindle format. I have not had any problem finding any book that I wanted which was in kindle format also available in epub format and there are some great programs that are free which do conversions. Calibre is a very good free program.
    I really prefer the standard reader that is included with the PDN over any other I have tried for reading so I am not inclined to want any other reader app for mine.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Thanks