Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pdf. attachments

Posted by gmom74 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 12:41

Since having a new hard drive and XP installed, I am unable to open pdf attachments. I downloaded a free pdf converter (Fox Tab) but it doesn't work. I have not updated from IE6 yet- maybe that has something to do with it. I used Adobe before the computer was fixed but if I had a disk I can't find it now. I have read on this forum that the free one called Xchange is a good one. Would it work with IE6 and how do you associate it with the attachment? I have a Compaq Presario. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pdf. attachments

PDF Xchange Viewer should become the default PDF viewer when you install it and should work for you.

o

You must move away from IE6 you are leaving your self wide open to vulnerbilities, it is no longer supported and most websites no longer support it so many will not render properly using IE6. There is just no good reason not to update to at the very least IE7, since you have xp you can not use IE9 but you could do IE7 or 8. Here is the link to all versions of IE please update.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

You are leaving the car doors open with the keys in the ignition.

I fear you may also have not done other very important updates including java, adobe and flash, all of which can leave you wide open too. Use this tool to see what needs updating and by all means if you have old versions of java on your pc you MUST remove them you can either do that through add remove programs or use JavaRA to do it.
Secunia Online Software Inspector (OSI)

JavaRA

Here is a link that might be useful: IE versions

o

bob414, I will remove the one I downloaded and use the Xchange pdf coverter. Thanks.
ravencajun, thanks for your advice, too. I'll get started on all that tomorrow. There are things that are not working any longer and I wondered if it had something to do with not updating certain programs. Now I know.
Thanks a lot to you both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here