Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I get this information

Posted by marie-ndcal (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 12:28

I accepted a new church job as secretary and was given a CDR disk with limited information No one seemed to know what was on the disk, so I took a chance and installed it. No problem, as there were 4 or 5 entries. Two were ok and I could print them, but the others stated I could not open these files. We do not know who made the files but one apparently was a spread sheet. It also indicated --.XIR???? It is not critical, but is there anyway I can open them without damaging my computer. These were done in either 2007 or 2008. Any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I get this information

I googled it and this was first on the list. I believe there are directions to open it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information

o

If it is a .XLR file, then it is a spreadsheet created with Microsoft Works. It should open in Excel, but depending on the version of Works that created it and the version of Excel you are using it might be necessary to convert the file to a more modern Excel format. This sort of thing might occur automatically if the computer is kept current with Microsoft Updates but if it isn't...hard to tell.

o

I've had luck opening .xlr files by using the "save file as" command and changing the extension to .xls and then opening it - as long as you have Excel on your computer.

o

Louh that is what I was advised when I bought a new computer with word. Does it work if you save without opening it? Someone in here recommended a converted that worked for me, but I found out later there was a way for my computer to convert it, but didn't know that at the time.

o

Emma, I don't know. I never tried it that I recall.

Lou

o

Marie: Try this..I found this solution on the net:

" recently converted an XLR file to XLS by simply going to the file, right clicking on it, selecting "Rename" and then changing the file extension to ".xls" Then I ignored the warning about not being able to open it and saved it with the new file extension. I was quite surprised that it worked.

o

Probably upload to skyDrive or docs.google.com and they would display it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here