Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice about Kaspersky

Posted by oliverp (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 12:26

Hi, I purchased Kaspersky last year and it's due for renewal in a few days. In the past I've had more than my fair share of virus problems and I have to say Kaspersky hasn't let any get through but I'm sure it slowing my computer down an awful lot. I'm not certain of it because I also changed my broadband provider from cable to British Telecom so it could be the BT.

I just wondered whether anyone else finds Kaspersky slow. Would you advise that I stay with Kaspersky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice about Kaspersky

Anti Virus really is a personal choice, since you're use to it I'd say stay with it. My personal choice is Microsoft Security Essentials it's free and does the job, light on resources too. You could try that for a while and always go back to Kaspersky if you wanted.

o

in ratings Kaspersky is a very highly rated program, depending on your specific system it could possibly slow you down some, any AV program will to some degree.
Try following these steps to see if they might help
Help! My computer is slow!

Since you are used to it and changing to another would involve some removal work you should consider all of that and decide what you feel comfortable with. There are some very good free AV programs as Zep mentioned MSE is one, I use AVAST free and like it.

o

Which BT service are you paying for? My brother in law pays around 20 quid for telly, internet and phone with talktalk and wonders why his computer is slow ????

o

I also like MS Security Essentials. Never had a problem of any kind, it scans automatically and you can set it to scan when you want to.

o

Thanks everyone for your help, you've given me lots of info to think about. I've already printed off some notes from that link. Looks good advice. I've taken some stuff out of "start up" but don't really know what some of them are. Has anyone tried the RubberDuckys Start Up Lite?

I think I'm going to try out MS Security Essentials first as I can always go back to Kaspersky whenever I want.

Owbist, we too pay about �20 month for Broadband and phone, I think that also includes TV but we have Sky for the TV and that's about �35 month (I think). When we went back to BT we paid the charges in advance so that we got a couple of months free so now we just pay for what we've used ie phone calls.

Many thanks to all of you.

o

Correction to the above - should read 20 British pounds and 35 British pounds

o

Oliver my point about the service you have selected with BT is that if you are paying a lower rate then perhaps your connection is also slower. That is assuming the slowness you notice is when you are online watching video clips.

If that is the case you could always pause the video while the computer continues the download to create a sizeable buffer. While this takes place you could always open a new tab to continue surfing rather than sit twiddling your thumbs.

Ha ha, yes this site does not recognise the British pound amongst other things.

o

the start up lite is an excellent program, if you have not used malwarebytes by the same people I highly recommend adding it to your security programs, it is also free. Update it and run full scan weekly.
Be sure you fully remove Kaspersky first if you choose to try MSE or some thing else. You can find the removal tool for them here, just scroll down the list.
Antivirus Product Removal Tools

o

Many thanks again for this useful info. I'll definitely give it a try before I decide whether or not to renew Kaspersky.

As always this site is the first place I would come to if I need PC advice and you're all so very helpful. MANY THANKS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here