Return to the Computer Help Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommend way to create another email address for online buying

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 12:13

I would like to create another one or two email addresses for making purchases online. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. Gmail is the address I use now. I've kept my old AOL email but seldom use it. I also have an account with Go Daddy. All three of those addresses include my name which I want to avoid from now on.

Thanks for your ideas.

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommend way to create another email address for online buyi

use any online web based email account, do not use your name or any real info on it when filling in the info.
I use hotmail and inbox.com and also gmx.com
It may ask if you want to provide an email address so that they can use it should you forget the password and they need to send it to you, if you want no association to you at all then don't use one, however be really sure you won't need to use that feature. Use a strong nonsense password

o

You are the best, as always!!

Thanks for your recommendations - I'll follow them to a T.

Ginny

o

G,

I have been making on-line purchases using an independent e-mail address for years. In my experience, and having communicated with others, the key is to maintain the discipline for what the address was intended. If you stray from the focus use inevitably the address will become just another address. I think over time you will find the new address to be "just what the doctor ordered".

DA

o

Why the advice not to use your real name for an email account? Obviously you're going to give the merchant personal information (name, address, credit card). What difference does the name on the email account matter?

I personally have several email accounts but use one for online purchases and those occasions when a company wants an email address to sign up for a service. I don't really care if it's filled with spam although Hotmail's filters are pretty good.

o

it was because the OP plainly stated
"All three of those addresses include my name which I want to avoid from now on. "

hence do not use their real name on it if they do not want their real name associated with it.

you certainly do not have to put your real name on an email address to do business with anyone. NONE of mine have any part of my real name on them.

o

I opened an account in Gmail to use ONLY for orders.
Even tho you check NO to their sending you sales etc., they STILL do. Plus, you get spam which is blocked, put in the spam folder so no problem there as far as showing up in your mail.
Because of that, I opened another Gmail account only to use to write messages to a Cyber friend of mine and NOT ONE spam have I ever gotten in that account since I opened it in 2007, 4 years ago
That is a plus!

o

I missed the part where the OP didn't want to use his/her name. I'm just curious about the reasoning behind not using a name.

o

Historically it has been recommended to only use proper names when creating controlled accounts such as those used with family and friends, financial, medical, and other high priority personal situations. All other accounts should be created in an alias mode.

This has been encouraged to contribute to security and privacy. Having any accurate personal information in the wild only increases the chance of a concern. Given enough time, resources and desire who know what could be done with mere information.

DA

o

I was "online" long before most people had heard of the Internet and have never heard of using aliases as a security precaution. Years ago I participated in online forums where pseudonyms were prohibited, with the though being that by using their real name participants would be more civil.

This seems to be an example of the fine line between prudence and paranoia. We just saw a major security breach where a company's records were compromised. Certainly the only information released wasn't a list of email addresses. So now somebody has a list of email addresses, names, company affiliations, and the like. What good does having a fictitious email address do those people?

o

Someone told me when they got their first computer they were advised to make up a fake identity, name, address, phone number,etc.. I do that now except when I am buying something online, it has to be shipped to my address. I also did something someone suggested either in here or another forum. I set up a small checking account with a debit care for buying online. I never have more than $200. in it and the bank will not accept any charges if they are not covered. That protects me from overdraft charges if someone tries to use it.

o

V,

I like it.

No one should be running around calling out, "the sky is falling". However, any reasonable attempt to maintain personal security is wise. Just ask those who have had their identity stolen, bank accounts emptied, credit card hijacked.

I was fortunate as my negative experiences were small when my card was twice hijacked (non-Internet related), but I am even now more alert as I personally know what could have been.

As always it is personal choice, but if something negative happens again I like so many others can look into the mirror and confirm I did all I could do.

DA

o

I always use a credit card for online buying, never a debit card. Of course if the debit card is associated with an account that has a limited amount of money in it, I guess that's safe enough. Still, I like using a cc just in case of a dispute over merchandise, since no money has yet been taken from my bank account. Using a debit card is just like paying cash, and getting your money back in case of a dispute is a major hassle.

o

I have a very high limit on my CC and the CU only allows one CC per customer. So I opted for the debit card instead of going to another banking institution. The most I could lose would be around $75. I buy books and movies from amazon, and usually buy around $120. worth at one time.

o

I believe there is still no umbrella federal legislation for a limit on customer liability when using a debit card. This limit may be set by your state legislation or the issuer's policy. Remember the aforementioned federal legislation does set the liability credit card limit at $50.00 per account.

And as always your homeowners insurance my have built in protection. Do not assume any coverage. Read your policy as most insureds don't.

Just an added unrelated note: Historically if items are not scheduled there is a limit to cash, firearms, art, computers and their supporting materials just to mention a few. All of these may be subject to your deductible.

DA

o

damccoy what do you mean by limit on customer liability.

o

vala55 you can read about it here.

o

I read about it and it is like thought. I just misunderstood D's statement. The CU said they would turn away the charge if it was not covered instead of bouncing it and charging me like they normally would a check. I don't carry this card with me it is strictly for on line purchases and I don't write checks or use it for anything else.

o

V,

Glad Bob was able to help you out.

I'm no a big fan of Kim Komando, but below is a link about aliases and creating them. I saw the hyperlink on a page that RC had posted in an unrelated matter.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: E-mail Aliases

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Computer Help Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here