SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

New Computer Create Recovery Media

jerry_nj
11 years ago

Okay, I now have a 16 Gbyte (USB) Flash Drive, noted in an earlier post, so I can now create restore media, none came with the computer.

Computer Gateway/Acer Windows 8 which provides software to:
[My Backup] which provides a tool for data back up and also offers "Image My Drive"... not sure what that's for but it seems it could be a "restore" tool.
[Gateway Recovery Management] which provides for
Create factory Backup which defaults to via a check box "copy the recovery partition from the PC to recovery drive".

Interesting, this option whas "checked" making me think there must be a "recovery partition" on my HDD as delivered by Gateway. I can not see any such with the file manager. Suggestions?

I am still on hold as I suppose I can also create a recovery using Microsoft tools. Here I assume the Factory tools is preferred as it may include brand/model specific items

I welcome suggestions on backup.

When I did this for a Windows 7 computer I liked the fact it provided for a recover disk (DVD) and one or two other more serious restore disks (DVDs). With one restore device, the USB 16 GByte Flash drive it may offer these as choices when the Flash is the boot device... here I assume the firmware in the Gateway has the USB as the primary boot device and defaults to the HDD if no bootable device is found on the USB. Does this sound about right? If so one could not boot from the DVD even if it had sufficient boot software - which I assume can exist for W8 with less than 4 GBytes, which is possible with DVD.

All this may be disclosed in the Gateway user information, but being that too is absent in the hard copy sense I haven't looked at it. Hey, I'm an old guy, still check out paper books from the library rather than down load them to a Kindle. The last book I checked, Killing Kennedy, Bill O'Reilly, came in LARGE PRINT, great.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths